[SOLVED] Getting desperate. In-game graphics keep glitching, flickering or tearing. Suspected GPU issue.

Dec 12, 2021
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. My in-game graphics keep glitching, where parts of rendered textures will appear wonky by flickering or going completely black, always for microseconds at a time, but constantly. Manifests in different ways depending on the game and it makes some of them unplayable. Doesn't happen to videos or anything else, only graphics rendered in-game, so I think this is a GPU issue. This problem is with a new PC I've built but I've been using it for 3 months without issues until very recently. Had temperature problems at first, fixed by tweaking the fan settings through the Radeon Software application. Otherwise I haven't been messing with my GPU settings at all. I'm not doing any overclocking nor do I plan to, and my temps are never higher than 55C.

Tried playing a few different games in my library and in some the issue's a bit more subtle but it's worst in Tabletop Simulator and Warframe, where in the latter black squares or green flashes keep obstructing parts of the screen. Ironically, when I try recording the issue with Radeon Software, it stops. Not sure what to make of that, but I can't reasonably record everything I play forever without wearing out my SSD's lifespan. I just noticed this today as I tried recording the issue to show you guys, so I instead recorded the problem with Gifcam and made gifs but I can't seem to share those directly on here either. Not sure what technical words to use to describe the problem otherwise, and "tearing" brings up a monitor issue my setup's not suffering from. If you guys need any info I haven't listed please let me know.

Stats:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core processor
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Cooling: Fans. No water cooler. Wraith Prism iirc for the CPU
Mobo: ASUS Tuf Gaming motherboard

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
  • Restarting PC
  • Unplugging / replugging all the monitor cables and power cables connected to the GPU
  • Reseating the GPU
  • Reinstalling drivers. Installed new update today as well, and that didn't help.

Only source of the problem that's come to mind is the incense I've been burning to keep the intense smells from my neighbors smoking or cooking out of my place. But this incense isn't heavy stuff, it's your typical incense sticks, and I couldn't possibly have burned more than 20 since I moved in here. Plus I'd be surprised if that had been enough to cause problems for my PC, but it does draw in a lot of air with all its fans, so who knows.

I've done research on the issue found this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ll-3d-games-on-only-some-3d-textures.3581751/
It's got videos showing a similar problem to what I have, but not exactly. The suggested fix that allegedly worked was to "open up" the GPU (not CPU, according to them) and reapply thermal paste - apparently someone's card had condensation in there. I'm extremely reticent about the idea, and wouldn't know where to begin after getting the card out, but I'm desperate. Any idea on how to fix this?

Solution
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. My in-game graphics keep glitching, where parts of rendered textures will appear wonky by flickering or going completely black, always for microseconds at a time, but constantly. Manifests in different ways depending on the game and it makes some of them unplayable. Doesn't happen to videos or anything else, only graphics rendered in-game, so I think this is a GPU issue. This problem is with a new PC I've built but I've been using it for 3 months without issues until very recently. Had temperature problems at first, fixed by tweaking the fan settings through the Radeon Software application. Otherwise I haven't been messing with my GPU settings at all. I'm not doing any overclocking...
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. My in-game graphics keep glitching, where parts of rendered textures will appear wonky by flickering or going completely black, always for microseconds at a time, but constantly. Manifests in different ways depending on the game and it makes some of them unplayable. Doesn't happen to videos or anything else, only graphics rendered in-game, so I think this is a GPU issue. This problem is with a new PC I've built but I've been using it for 3 months without issues until very recently. Had temperature problems at first, fixed by tweaking the fan settings through the Radeon Software application. Otherwise I haven't been messing with my GPU settings at all. I'm not doing any overclocking nor do I plan to, and my temps are never higher than 55C.

Tried playing a few different games in my library and in some the issue's a bit more subtle but it's worst in Tabletop Simulator and Warframe, where in the latter black squares or green flashes keep obstructing parts of the screen. Ironically, when I try recording the issue with Radeon Software, it stops. Not sure what to make of that, but I can't reasonably record everything I play forever without wearing out my SSD's lifespan. I just noticed this today as I tried recording the issue to show you guys, so I instead recorded the problem with Gifcam and made gifs but I can't seem to share those directly on here either. Not sure what technical words to use to describe the problem otherwise, and "tearing" brings up a monitor issue my setup's not suffering from. If you guys need any info I haven't listed please let me know.

Stats:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core processor
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Cooling: Fans. No water cooler. Wraith Prism iirc for the CPU
Mobo: ASUS Tuf Gaming motherboard

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
  • Restarting PC
  • Unplugging / replugging all the monitor cables and power cables connected to the GPU
  • Reseating the GPU
  • Reinstalling drivers. Installed new update today as well, and that didn't help.

Only source of the problem that's come to mind is the incense I've been burning to keep the intense smells from my neighbors smoking or cooking out of my place. But this incense isn't heavy stuff, it's your typical incense sticks, and I couldn't possibly have burned more than 20 since I moved in here. Plus I'd be surprised if that had been enough to cause problems for my PC, but it does draw in a lot of air with all its fans, so who knows.

I've done research on the issue found this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ll-3d-games-on-only-some-3d-textures.3581751/
It's got videos showing a similar problem to what I have, but not exactly. The suggested fix that allegedly worked was to "open up" the GPU (not CPU, according to them) and reapply thermal paste - apparently someone's card had condensation in there. I'm extremely reticent about the idea, and wouldn't know where to begin after getting the card out, but I'm desperate. Any idea on how to fix this?
try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) and the chipset in control panel like this:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find HPET or High Precision Event Timer and disable that, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced, then connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: Disappointed Father
Solution
Dec 12, 2021
Wow thanks a lot, I will try this and let you know how it went. I can tell you right away though in case this is relevant to anyone reading in the future that I had a single split PSU cable for both ports on my GPU instead of one.

Quick question though, when you say:
I don't really know of any DDU on my PC nor where to find it if I do have one, if I were to uninstall drivers I'd go to the Device Manager. So should I use a DDU to uninstall the display drivers or should I look somewhere for an existing DDU and uninstall the DDU itself?

Wow thanks a lot, I will try this and let you know how it went. I can tell you right away though in case this is relevant to anyone reading in the future that I had a single split PSU cable for both ports on my GPU instead of one.

Quick question though, when you say:
I don't really know of any DDU on my PC nor where to find it if I do have one, if I were to uninstall drivers I'd go to the Device Manager. So should I use a DDU to uninstall the display drivers or should I look somewhere for an existing DDU and uninstall the DDU itself?
Here you go :D

Reactions: Disappointed Father
Dec 12, 2021
Funnily enough, uninstalling Radeon Software without restarting knocked my FPS down to 5 but the issue was gone. Equally unplayable. After a PC restart, I get normal FPS but the issue's back. Reinstalling Radeon Software now

edit: I guess I'll try calling Radeon's customer service?