Getting error message when trying to boot windows for the first time

cameron2122

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Hi there, so I've just built my first computer and I'm having a bit of an issue putting windows 10 onto it for the first time. So I've downloaded a genuine windows 10 iso and have made it bootable on a usb flash drive but when I put it into my new computer and turn it on it gives me an error message. Error code 0xc000000e. And it says that I have to use the recovery tools on my installation media but I have no idea what to do. Then at the bottom it says "Press enter to try again" and when I press that the same screen with the error is shown. Also says "Press F8 for Startup settings" which when I do goes to the same screen. The only place I can go from this screen is to "Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings" which takes me to the BIOS. Any idea on how I can get Windows on my new build? Thanks.

Solution
Ok so I now know how to fix this. If you're using a mac then go to utilities -> disk utilities -> select the usb -> then click erase and it comes up with the name of the driver, the format and the scheme. Obviously name it whatever you like but change the format to FAT and the scheme to master boot record. Then use unetbootin to put the iso on the usb then you're done. It should work.
Hello cameron2122

It looks like something went wrong while creating the USB drive.

Can you please elaborate which application did you use to create a bootable USB from the ISO image?

If it was Rufus, and if your computer supports UEFI, select GPT partition scheme for UEFI from under the Partition scheme and target system type drop-down list. On the other hand, if your computer doesn't support UEFI, you must choose MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI.

Also, make sure that you choose FAT32 (Default) from the File system drop-down list.

Create a Windows 10 installation USB drive using the above settings and then try installing the operating system.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

cameron2122

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015

Hi thanks for your help! I'm not actually using rufus because I had to make the bootable drive on my MacBook because I don't have a PC that I can use. I'm using unetbootin because it was the only program that really came up when searching how to make a bootable drive on a mac. I've also made my usb drive FAT and the only option other than OSX ones is ExFAT.

Hello again cameron2122

In general terms, FAT means FAT16 and not FAT32

If possible, can you borrow a Windows PC from any of your friends or ask him/her to create a Windows 10 bootable USB drive using Rufus or UltraISO? This may help you resolve the issue without any hassle.

Cheers!!

cameron2122

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015

Thanks a lot for your help. I think that's what I'm going to do because it seems to be a lot easier to make a bootable copy of windows on a pc than a mac! Once again thanks :)

cameron2122

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Ok so I now know how to fix this. If you're using a mac then go to utilities -> disk utilities -> select the usb -> then click erase and it comes up with the name of the driver, the format and the scheme. Obviously name it whatever you like but change the format to FAT and the scheme to master boot record. Then use unetbootin to put the iso on the usb then you're done. It should work.

Solution