Getting Ethernet through Router for all ports in House

powerlevelzero

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I'm a networking noob but could use some help.

My understanding of my setup.
I have a FIOS ONT(i211m-k).
This goes to a MoCa splitter that splits the coax to my tv and to the coax where my router is hooked up.

I currently have FIOS in my apartment for internet and TV hooked up, and have my Modem/Router(FIOS-G1100) connected through a coaxial output in my living room.

I am trying to get the other ethernet ports running throughout my house to work through the router in my living room so that I could directly connect to the other ethernet jacks in my house and they'll all just work through the same network.

I am open to any suggestions to move my Modem/Router next to the ONT (if possible), or buy another switch but am just not clear on what's possible and the simplest way to make this work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to provide more information as relevant..

UPDATE 1/2/2017
Thanks for the responses.

Bill your answer made me realize that I think I misunderstood my house wiring. My wiring is as such and therefore the router is between the ONT and other ethernet ports in the house.

ONT to MoCa splitter. The other end of that Coaxial output is connected to my FIOS G1100 Router. I plugged one of the 4 LAN connections from the router into the ethernet port of the living room. From there I see that all of the ethernet jacks are plugged into a netselect c5e+ data Module 8 way switch in the closet, so the other ethernet ports ARE going back to the router.

Then I plugged my PC into the ethernet jack from another room and I see that I AM GETTING INTERNET!!!

Few questions for clarification.

1 - I am getting very slow internet to my PC...my speed test from google last night put me at under 1mbps download, and 10mbps upload. Any ideas why?
EDIT - I tried again this morning and my speeds were 59/50 mbps up and down, so the speeds are as fast as they should be(I pay for 50/50)...I dont' know why it was so slow last night.

2 - Is this connection correct? AKA Does this make sure all traffic is going through my router/firewall and not exposing my network directly? ....When would I use the WAN ethernet port on my Router?

Thanks!

Solution
The largest issue is finding where all the jacks to all the rooms go. There likely is a central panel.

You are going to have to place some equipment in/near that panel. If it is near the ont and you only need a few ports you could put your router there and then connect the ports to the router lan ports. Otherwise you will need a small switch to connect all the ports to.

If there is a ethernet port in the living room you could hook a cable to a lan port and it would connect back to the switch you installed in the patch panel and it would give service to all the rooms.
The largest issue is finding where all the jacks to all the rooms go. There likely is a central panel.

You are going to have to place some equipment in/near that panel. If it is near the ont and you only need a few ports you could put your router there and then connect the ports to the router lan ports. Otherwise you will need a small switch to connect all the ports to.

If there is a ethernet port in the living room you could hook a cable to a lan port and it would connect back to the switch you installed in the patch panel and it would give service to all the rooms.

Solution
Probably just repeating what bill says.

You cannot assume the walls' jacks work, is up to you to find out, we are not there. For noobs, this can be beyond your capability, may have to call the nerdy cousin even if you don't like him :) Can always run long ethernet cables on the carpet though.

powerlevelzero

Reputable
May 14, 2014

Hey Bill - Thanks for the response . I updated my post. Any thoughts there just to make sure I got this working correctly? Thanks again for your time!

powerlevelzero

Reputable
May 14, 2014

Hey jsmithpa - Thanks for the response . I updated my post. Any thoughts there just to make sure I got this working correctly? Thanks again for your time! Or maybe Bill will beat you to it! :)

It really can't work any other way. The signal to the ethernet devices has no choice but to pass thought the router to then be converted to run back to the ONT via coax.

The wan port on the router would be used if you used the ethernet port on the ONT rather than the coax.