Getting frame skips while game is showing normal FPS.

Nov 6, 2018
Lately when I'm playing games like League Of Legends or CS:GO I've been having some issues. If I'm playing and I have something else opened on my second screen, my game starts frame skipping. Meanwhile the game still shows my normal capped fps. I run a i5-6600k and GTX1070 on an Asus ROG swift PG278QR capped at 165Hz. These games don't have high requirements. Something I find really weird is that I don't have any problems when playing COD WW2 on Ultra. I have tried reïnstalling the game, reïnstalling windows(with format), checking my CPU temps and overclock, checking for any graphics card updates. I honestly have no idea what to do next.

Solution
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

When you speak of reinstalling the OS, did you recreate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? If the issue is only on theses two titles then I'd suspect that an update is impending from the devs. You could still try uninstalling GPU drivers and reinstalling with drivers you know were stable(older revisions).

Lutfij

Titan
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

When you speak of reinstalling the OS, did you recreate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? If the issue is only on theses two titles then I'd suspect that an update is impending from the devs. You could still try uninstalling GPU drivers and reinstalling with drivers you know were stable(older revisions).

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
CPU: Intel i5 -6600K with Hyper 212 Evo
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
Ram: DDR4 Vengeance-3000 16 GB
SSD/HDD: 960 Evo 250GB M.2 7200RPM
Samsung F1 DT 750GB 7200RPM
Seagate Barracude 1TB 72000RPM
GPU: Gigabyte GTX170
PSU: Cooler MAster 750W
Chassis: Sharkoon BW9000-W
Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR 165Hz
LG 27EA63V 60 Hz

I used the Windows Media Creation tools and reïnstalled via Boot menu. The BIOS update should be fine. I've also reached out on the forums of League of Legends and they only say the usual stuff like cap your framrate etc... I can try uninstalling the GPU drivers and I will also run some other games to see if the issue persists.

Nov 6, 2018
After running some tests on different games, they all had different outcomes.
So I went and used DDU to uninstall the drivers, installed a driver from June.
Et voila, no more problems. I sorta feel stupid I didn't try it before. Thanks so much !! :)

Nov 6, 2018
After doing a lot of tests with different drivers, I still haven't been able to completely resolve the problem.
Some of the older drivers are only making things worse. But the newer ones all give the same problem.
I'm currently running on the 398.11 driver. The main issue still persists.
But one of the things that I found to be very weird is this.
At first when I installed an older driver, everything ran perfect, no frame skips whatsoever.
The day after, I start up my pc and the issue is back?
I've also tested this on different games and the issue is the same on those.
It seems to drop in frames when I get some sort of notification or change on a different application.
For example; a video playing, gettting a notification of some sort, someone typing a message on facebook...
Not really sure what to do next.

AlphaCompton

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
My guess is an automatic update or setting is causing the issue. That's why when the older driver is installed it clears the setting and goes back to a default but something updates it afterwards and is causing havoc. I don't have an idea for a fix but you test the theory by trying an offline game or benchmark, before and after reinstalling the old drivers. and after the old driver is installed, try turning internet off to see if the settings stick. If they do you can work from there but if they don't you'll have to keep looking for the source.
Good Luck