[SOLVED] Getting freezing issues in games with new build. Tried everything.

Sep 1, 2019
Specs:
Ryzen 3600
Asrock B450M mobo
3200 RAM (8gbx2) (In correct slots A2 abd B2)
Thermaltake 600W PSU
RX590
Clean installed latest chipset/video drivers/Motherboard BIOS etc
New Windows installation
No heating issues
reseated GPU
No overclocks
Bios reset

Issue:
In certain games (usually demaning ones) I am getting occasional freezing (that lasts between 5-10 seconds.)
Once the freezing stops the game continues as if nothing happened.

I know that:
It is not the GPU or CPU as I got the same issues with a different GPU and CPU in the same system.
It is not likely the HDDs or SSDs as they worked fine in my last system (unless there is some wrong configuration somewhere I dont know about.)
It probably isn't the memory as I did a 4 pass test in Memtest86 and got no errors. I also get the freezing whether the memory is overclocked or not (but I guess there still could be some kind of compatibility issue there?)

Also, in Windows reliability monitor I am getting hardware "LiveKernelEvent Code:141" error events sometimes (usually at the point when the freezing happens in games.)

I am at a loss as to why the occasional freezing is happening.

Please tell me how I can further troubleshoot my system.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
It won't hurt to try each slot individually. It isn't likely the issue, but its a good idea to rule out the ram as the culprit.
Ok so I tried each RAM and I get the same freezing issues with both. So I guess the RAM is not faulty? But could it still have compatibility issues or would other RAM likely do the same thing?
It's supposed to be compatiable.
Now I'm really at a total loss as to what to do.
I'm thinking maybe dual boot another version of Windows to see if I get the same issues in a diffrent OS version.

Sep 1, 2019
Power supply?
But unless you have a spare lying around, I guess you can't really test this one.
Thermatake Smart(mediocre)? TR2(2 versions of this, one good, the other mediocre)?
Yes it's the smart one. However, it's quite new and was working fine on my previous build, even with one of the same GPUs.

Sep 1, 2019
This is confusing. I've been running lots of Passmark stress tests and never get any freezing or issues at all.
Would that not mean that there is no problem with the hardware?
Maybe I'm just unlucky and the couple of games I did get freezing issues with is a coincidence caused by something else. Either a problem with the latest Windows update of a driver issue I guess.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've got a suggestion.
Download and run Prime 95. In 'Run a Torture Test', select Small FFT and click Ok.
Let it run for 10mins. Keep an eye on cpu temps.

Download and run Unigine Heaven Benchmark. Select the Extreme preset, and click run.
In the top left corner, click Benchmark.

If neither of these cause a crash, then it might not be the hardware.

Sep 1, 2019
I've got a suggestion.
Download and run Prime 95. In 'Run a Torture Test', select Small FFT and click Ok.

Download and run Unigine Heaven Benchmark. Select the Extreme preset, and click run.

ok thanks I'll try that.

Sep 1, 2019
I've got a suggestion.

So... the max temp in Prime 95 stayed around 73 degrees.
The Heaven benchmark seems to run fine on extreme running at about 70fps average.

So... Does this mean my PC is fine?

The game that's giving me the most issues at the moment is GTA5.
It doesn't happen too often, but the game keeps freezing for about 5-10 seconds.
It's like there is a big delay for the game to gather the data it needs to continuing running.
No one else seems to have this issue with the game so I'm pretty sure there is something wrong on my end.