Getting horrible frame rates with high end PC

MikesDailyGaming

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Hey guys, so I've been a long time user of Tom's for problem solving but this is my first time making a post of my own. I've build a pretty beefy computer as far as components go (listed below) however I am still getting horrible frame rates in games, and when I try to stream you can forget about it, barely even playable. This is odd to me because I'll watch streamers on twitch blow games out of the water (frame rate wise) with similar or lower specs than my PC.

Specs:
CPU: i7-4790k (overclocked to 4.4)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8 2400)
Mobo: MSI Gaming 5
GPU: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW
Cooler: Corsair H100i V2

FPS Example: (Stream FPS in parenthesis )
Rocket League - 120 (28)
Battlefield 1 - 90 (20)
Arma 3 - 35 (12)
H1Z1 KOTK - 148 (32)

All drivers are up to date. And I use xsplit to stream. Temps stay around 50 c on the CPU while gaming. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Battlefield and Arma are extremely intensive games. the fps you are getting looks normal to me if you are on very high to Max settings. You need to either lower some settings like the msaa and shadows or get a 10 series or Rx 480 card to push more frames. Also, if you have installed the anniversary update for Windows 10 that may be causing issues as well

MikesDailyGaming

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

Never gets above 75c, fans rarely have to kick on

LowlySkeleton

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
If its nothing to do with the system itself, it might have to do with your monitor/gaming resolution and the settings you set for streaming. What resolution are you playing at? And what resolution and frame rate did you set for xsplit to stream at?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't use xsplit. Bad optimization. OBS is better optimized and doesn't suck all the resources away from gaming as much as programs like xsplit do. Give it a try and see if it provides a difference.

The are two versions of OBS btw. There's the original version and the newer version. It's kind of a mixed bag when it comes to comparing the two as the original has more detailed settings customization but the new version has some newer optimizations to the code. Both work great though and it honestly depends on which game you are playing and what you are trying to do with the software as to which one you should use.

Overall for me it really comes down to this:
Original version of you want to record what you stream of just record in generalfor the purpose of video editing and putting it up on YouTube as the settings for recording in a raw lossless format are easier to change and generally just works better.

Pick the new version if all you wanna do is stream.

MikesDailyGaming

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
That helps with the streaming side, but still doesn't help or explain why I'm getting bad fps when I'm not streaming. With my current set up playing at 1080p there shouldn't be much of anything I cannot handle.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Battlefield and Arma are extremely intensive games. the fps you are getting looks normal to me if you are on very high to Max settings. You need to either lower some settings like the msaa and shadows or get a 10 series or Rx 480 card to push more frames. Also, if you have installed the anniversary update for Windows 10 that may be causing issues as well

Solution