[SOLVED] Getting I/O device error with Seagate external HDD ?

Feb 4, 2021
My external Seagate Expansion 2TB is not able to be seen under "My Computer". When checking the disk through disk management, the disk is shown as "unknown, not initialized. Also when I went to disk management, I was prompt with a message to ask me to initialize the disk, clicking yes for either "MBR" or "GPT" option will lead to error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." As I have very important data in the disk, I don't really want to initialize or format the disk.

Thanks in advance for your precious time that you gave attention to my thread.

Solution
It maybe the disk or the USB to SATA (IDE/NVME or whatever else) adapter at fault.
If you have a desktop, try to take the disk out of the enclosure and connect it directly to a (free) SATA and power outlet inside your PC. Then check for proper boot sequence (that may mess it up) and check back in the disk management tab.
It maybe the disk or the USB to SATA (IDE/NVME or whatever else) adapter at fault.
If you have a desktop, try to take the disk out of the enclosure and connect it directly to a (free) SATA and power outlet inside your PC. Then check for proper boot sequence (that may mess it up) and check back in the disk management tab.

Solution

Nvrmndryo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
My external Seagate Expansion 2TB is not able to be seen under "My Computer". When checking the disk through disk management, the disk is shown as "unknown, not initialized. Also when I went to disk management, I was prompt with a message to ask me to initialize the disk, clicking yes for either "MBR" or "GPT" option will lead to error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." As I have very important data in the disk, I don't really want to initialize or format the disk.

Thanks in advance for your precious time that you gave attention to my thread.
I am facing the same issue, have you find any solution?[/QUOTE]

It can be either dead external enclosure electronics or dead drive.
You find it out by connecting drive to pc directly with sata cables (without external enclosure).

If it's dead enclosure electronics, then replace external enclosure.
If it's dead drive, then involve professional data recovery services.