[SOLVED] getting inconsistent spontaneous black screen crashes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Retrikaethan

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
hey so i've been trying to diagnose an issue and i'm pretty sure it's software but no matter what i do this crash still happens (save for switching to my backup gpu). i thought it was a MB issue at first and upgraded the MB/cpu/ram cuz they were all well over 5 years old at that point, crash still happens. i think then it's the gpu (gtx 1080) since the crash doesn't happen on my now backup gpu (gtx 960 ftw) and rma'd it but having gotten a different card back, the crash still happens. as a last ditch attempt i replaced the psu and, of course, the crash still happens. since then i've been updating everything i can get my hands on and so far there's been no change (except maybe that DDUing then reinstalling the gpu drivers caused the crash to change its trigger? a game i was using to reliably cause the crash no longer causes it where i was testing it). so far it has been extremely random when these crashes will occur, save that they happen in games after some period of time of running them (somewhere between 30 minutes and a few hours, sometimes shorter as was in the testing game. temps are all fine, highest is 68C but usually doesn't get there)

i am almost completely at a loss for what to do now with the only thing i know i haven't tried yet being a clean install of windows 10 but i really don't want to have to do that but will be my next course of action if i can't figure this out.

ps: this is probably a dumb question, but can a monitor cause this kind of crash? (mine is pretty old, 1920x1080, 60hz at least 3-4 years old)

specs:

OS: windows 10 enterprise (updated from windows 7, crash was occurring there, too)

cpu: intel i5-8600k

mb: msi z370m (gaming pro ac)

ram: 4x corsair vengeance lpx 1x16GB DDR4 3000MHz (YES I KNOW IT'S OVERKILL)

main gpu: geforce gtx 1080 (gigabyte)

backup gpu: geforce gtx 960 ftw (evga)

power supply: corsair cx750m

shit i've updated: cpu chipset driver. bios, gpu driver, a few other minor things i can't remember.

Solution
I have the exact same issue with an entirely different setup. i have an amd build thats doing this so the whole pc is entirely different EXCEPT we are using the same power supply. did you recently get a new case? im starting to consider maybe my case is drawing way to much power. please let me know if you find a fix. i feel like ive tried everything i can to including reinstalling and completely reformatting all drives. dont do it, it aint the move bud

Retrikaethan

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
update: have replaced psu with different one (some coolermaster 600w thing) and have been using it for the last hour or so trying to make the crash happen and so far i have failed to make it happen. gonna keep playing to see if it happens but i am optimistic that this corsair psu is the source of the problem.

Last edited:

Retrikaethan

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
How old was your corsair PSU, and did it have a green label or a grey label?

FYI your new "coolermaster 600w thing' is probably a mediocre PSU at best.

Did you buy all your RAM in a single kit, or did you buy 4 separate 16GB sticks?
it was new, just the same model as the older one that i replaced (gray label for whatever that is supposed to mean). both had the same issue, assuming this is accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Bronze-Certified-Warranty/dp/B074ZR8D6P not sure what makes a psu mediocre, but if it works then i can't say i particularly care.

i bought a paired 8gbx2 (16gb total) to test things, the 4x16gb were all the same stick of ram but bought individually.

Aug 13, 2019
swapped the corsair for a evga 700br and couldnt get the crash to happen during games either, HOWEVER i did end up with a BSOD error with stop code, "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" while browsing the interwebs, but i think thats from using unsupported RAM sticks and not the PSU itself. im gonna go buy two brand new sticks today and swap it for a quick test and ill be returning one of the two sets I bought afterwards.

Aug 13, 2019
How old was your corsair PSU, and did it have a green label or a grey label?

FYI your new "coolermaster 600w thing' is probably a mediocre PSU at best.

Did you buy all your RAM in a single kit, or did you buy 4 separate 16GB sticks?
for me it was a gray label and it was literally brand new fresh out the box. My RAM was also brand new and all one set. I know you were asking the other person but i figured id give my input for support.