[SOLVED] Getting less than expected performance.

astrospud

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Getting terrible performance, not sure why?

These are my specs

Asrock 980DE3/US3
AMD FX-6300
G.SKILL Ares 2x4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
EVGA GTX 970 SSC
Antec NeoEco 520W PSU
WD Blue 1TB HDD

It’s a fairly old build, 2013/2014, and it used to have a gtx 650ti but I swapped it out for a gtx970 a few years back.

Now, with the 650ti, I remember I used to be able to run csgo perfectly at like 100fps 1080p even at high settings, and it managed other games at medium to low at that time. I figured I’d upgrade the gpu a while ago, but found it wasn’t performing better, actually worse. At the time I just kinda accepted it, and sort of drifted away from gaming on PC. Decided to get back into CSGO, and I’m getting terrible performance, like 30-40 FPS at medium settings, with very noticeable stuttering and the fps will drop to like 10 at some points, it’s actually unplayable. I did a bit of googling and tried a few things to fix it:

Reseat gpu, check power connectors
Reseat cpu heat sink
Reseat memory
Check all power connectors in motherboard
DDU gpu drivers and installed the latest drivers
Checked the optimal performance option in nvidia control panel.
Turn off v sync in the game.

have been monitoring gpu usage during the game and noticed it was hovering around 30%, which seems like it’s not even trying. But I then ran unigine heaven benchmark, before reinstalling drivers and after, and the gpu was at like 85% usage during both, with there being a 10fps increase in the average FPS after reinstalling drivers, but I was still getting bad performance in game. I have also been monitoring cpu and gpu temps with hwmonitor and the cpu runs at around 60-70C which afaik is normal for a stock heatsink, and the gpu is also low 70s before the fans ramp up and it settles to around 68ish, which also seems very normal.

I’m aware that the cpu is probably bottlenecking the gpu a bit, but surely it can’t be this much, and csgo used to run fine on the old gpu, so I’m discounting that theory. Is there anything else I can try to make this work, or is it just an old system that has lost performance over time, and nothing can be done short of a new mobo/cpu/ram?

Solution
The gpu won't be optimised to run at the old version of directX that the cpu is able to run either.
The first part of your post is very correct but this is just nonsense,windows is the only thing that dictates what version of directX your CPU will be running and also CS:GO is running a old version of dx anyway (Dx9 I believe) .

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Severe Cpu bottlenecks can actually make a game run worse. Especially with the combination of new and old hardware.
The gpu won't be optimised to run at the old version of directX that the cpu is able to run either.