Question Getting low fps? New problem. R6S

stevenew95

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
My pc is getting low FPS problems in Rainbow Six Siege. It's mostly what I play and I've noticed I've been having FPS issues. I have a pretty good pc and a 144hz monitor and I'm not even getting that. I'm pretty sure I used to but not now and I'm not sure why. My graphics card is up to date with drivers. Here are my specs below. I'm not sure what to do. Not sure if I need to go through my pc and make sure everything is seated okay, or if something has gone bad, or if something is not running as it should. Any help would be awesome.

I'm getting between 70-110 fps in game. While I know that doesn't sound bad, I want to be up to where my refresh rate is for my monitor.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16458785

stevenew95

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
Right, well that RAM seems to be an issue. Can't get it to run at 3200 for some reason, not sure if that would be the cause of the issue. Resolution is 1920x1080 and run on medium-high settings, kinda custom.

I have tried to run RAM with XMP in bios and even custom settings and it won't run it. I may need to flash bios to see if I can get it to work.

stevenew95

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
Trying to manually change the setting to 3200 and setting voltage just crashes every time and loads into safe boot with the 2133. Next option will be to try and bios update. Honestly have had it for a while and I haven't updated it. Will do that and then see if it will run it. Mem might now have been compatible when I built it.

stevenew95

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
@oliver.elgersma I have not had another kit installed, these have been the only ones installed. I updated my bios and tried to run with xmp and manual settings and it still failed to boot every time. I'm not sure why it's having issues. I reluctantly admit that I haven't updated my bios since 2017 so I was hopeful that it would have fixed the problem. It still has not and CPU-Z says my timings DRAM Frequency is 1066 MHz. Not sure where I'm going wrong or why it's failing. I tried setting voltage and 1.35 and the memory try it settings but nothing. Really scratching my head because idk what to do past here.

It is also a very real possibility that I am not doing the settings correctly as well. Not sure if I need to push the voltage higher or if I'm missing a timing setting somewhere or some random setting. I'm dying.

Another update: Looking at the details of the memory in BIOS it says my Max bandwith for the stick is 2133. Not 3200. Not sure if that is an issue. Anything I try will not work. I've also tried to run some benchmarks tests, I get GREAT, results on it. Mostly above 170 the whole time. I'm sure siege is more dependent on RAM but I'm not sure why I'm getting such low frames on it . 😭

Last edited:

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Ok well at least you got your bios updated, as that could help when we get the xmp profile to work.
•Are your sticks of ram in the ideal slots? (Usually A2 and B2 but refer to manual) That would definitely limit their speed.
•What is the make and model of your psu?
•If you’ve made any big changes in bios I think you should reset to optimized defaults. Once you’ve done that try to set the xmp profile and if it crashes again then you should do a cmos reset.

Any time you push ram speeds past the default 2133mhz it is considered an overclock. If your system (maybe mobo or cpu) can’t handle that oc then it won’t even boot with it. It appears to me that you are doing the correct settings because I have the same kit as you, but just bear in mind that xmp is always desirable because it tightens the timings and sets voltage / speed to the marketed specifications.

stevenew95

Commendable
Nov 4, 2018
They are in the right slots, I checked that out. I'm not for sure how to do CMOS reset but I will do both just to make sure. I have a Corsair CX750M PSU. I would hope that by now, ryzen is compatible with OC this ram but idk.

Update: I reset the BIOS to default and then tried to run XMP profile 1. Which was like 2933 and still crashed. I don't have the cap for the CMOS so I can't do that right now. I'm not sure what to do and why it won't post when I'm oc. I would think that it would be able to hand it.

Last edited:

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Ok, after doing a bit of research on your components I found the culprit. Ryzen 7 1700x supports max dual channel 2666mhz. I thought I would have seen this sooner but I assumed that your cpu was capable of 3200. I think your best bet is to set it to 2666 and see what happens. It is better then 2133 and should post.