[SOLVED] Getting low FPS on a lot of games even with a 2080ti

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Hey guys,

So for a while now I've had a RTX 2080ti alongside my older CPU which is an i7-6700k. Ever since I got the new GPU I haven't really been seeing the performance I'd expect from such a powerful card, let me give you a few examples.

So I recently started playing Watch Dogs: Legion, and even on high settings I was only getting 30-50 FPS at the most. Another example is Arma 3 where I never really get above 40-50 on higher population servers. I also played the Black Ops Cold War Beta and was only really getting 50-70 if I was lucky, although it was a beta so I suppose that's a hard one to judge. Other games such as Battlefield and Battlefront 2 usually run fine on around 80+ FPS, so I don't really understand.

Could it just be that certain games I'm playing aren't as optimised? Or could my CPU be bottlenecking my GPU? I do also have some occasional problems with Windows 10 being slow or even programs crashing every so often (this doesn't happen a great deal though). I will point out that it does seem to be newer games that I struggle to run the most.

If anyone can provide some advice here then that would be great. If you need any more information as well please let me know.

Solution
I believe my RAM currently runs at 3200MHz, my power supply is a Corsair RM850, and the drive my Windows is installed on is a SAMSUNG 850 EVO.

Also, I'll be looking at getting the 5000 series asap, however the one thing I wasn't sure on was which motherboard would be best to get alongside the 5950x once I eventually get it. I was looking at the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi of course). Could I get some opinions on whether this would be a good choice or not.

Ok then, it seems like your RAM, power supply and SSD are all good to go (nice choice of PSU).

That actually looks like a really good motherboard: it has a lot of good features, has a very capable VRM setup, and even has an editor's choice recommendation from Tom's...

Person268

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Hey guys,

So for a while now I've had a RTX 2080ti alongside my older CPU which is an i7-6700k. Ever since I got the new GPU I haven't really been seeing the performance I'd expect from such a powerful card, let me give you a few examples.

So I recently started playing Watch Dogs: Legion, and even on high settings I was only getting 30-50 FPS at the most. Another example is Arma 3 where I never really get above 40-50 on higher population servers. I also played the Black Ops Cold War Beta and was only really getting 50-70 if I was lucky, although it was a beta so I suppose that's a hard one to judge. Other games such as Battlefield and Battlefront 2 usually run fine on around 80+ FPS, so I don't really understand.

Could it just be that certain games I'm playing aren't as optimised? Or could my CPU be bottlenecking my GPU? I do also have some occasional problems with Windows 10 being slow or even programs crashing every so often (this doesn't happen a great deal though). I will point out that it does seem to be newer games that I struggle to run the most.

If anyone can provide some advice here then that would be great. If you need any more information as well please let me know.
can you provide more info and i might know why

Person268

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Hey guys,

is it also possible for you to test in fortnite?

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Like any settings u have played around with and changed
and can you do fornite to test fps because im not too sure what fps should be with these games.
Also i do want to point out that ur cpu is 6th gen
Yeah I'll download Fortnite tomorrow/later tonight and get back to you.

And most of these games I usually run on high-max settings.

I can run R6S on relatively good settings, but I usually have to have Antialiasing to FXAA to get decent performance, same with most other games.

I'll do some more tests tomorrow and post the results.

Person268

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Yeah I'll download Fortnite tomorrow/later tonight and get back to you.

And most of these games I usually run on high-max settings.

I can run R6S on relatively good settings, but I usually have to have Antialiasing to FXAA to get decent performance, same with most other games.

I'll do some more tests tomorrow and post the results.
No i meant have u played around with ur power settings
and tell me tomorrow the benchmark results for fortnite
alright good night!

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
No i meant have u played around with ur power settings
and tell me tomorrow the benchmark results for fortnite
alright good night!
Off the top of my head I think my power settings are set to max performance, but I could be wrong. And I haven't played around too much with the rest of the NVIDIA control panel stuff.

Hey guys,

You're trying to play modern CPU-intensive at high frame rates on a 1080p screen with a powerful GPU; your system is a case study in the need for a powerful CPU when running at 1080p with a 2080 Ti.

Notice that the three games you listed are either very new, have high player/NPC counts, or both. You are attempting to play these CPU-intensive games on a 4 core 8 thread CPU that released back in 2015. Your CPU is not at all up to the task you have set in front of it and you should upgrade your CPU to a modern 6 core 12 thread CPU or better.

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
You're trying to play modern CPU-intensive at high frame rates on a 1080p screen with a powerful GPU; your system is a case study in the need for a powerful CPU when running at 1080p with a 2080 Ti.

Notice that the three games you listed are either very new, have high player/NPC counts, or both. You are attempting to play these CPU-intensive games on a 4 core 8 thread CPU that released back in 2015. Your CPU is not at all up to the task you have set in front of it and you should upgrade your CPU to a modern 6 core 12 thread CPU or better.
I did think it was probably my CPU causing the issue. I'm guessing I'd need to get a new motherboard as well, right? I was originally looking at getting the Ryzen 9 3950x, would you recommend that or something else?

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
Also I just tried using the automatic overclock scanner on MSI Afterburner, however, I was quite surprised with how low the average clock was that I got. Also it says that the dominant limiter is power. I'll provide a screenshot of the results below. Could this be simply down to having a bad CPU as well, or something else?

Rve4SY4.png

I did think it was probably my CPU causing the issue. I'm guessing I'd need to get a new motherboard as well, right? I was originally looking at getting the Ryzen 9 3950x, would you recommend that or something else?

A new CPU would require a new motherboard, yes.

I would get one of the brand new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs; they are significantly improved over the 3000 series and apparently have caught up with Intel even at 1080p gaming.

The more cores/threads the better.

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
A new CPU would require a new motherboard, yes.

I would get one of the brand new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs; they are significantly improved over the 3000 series and apparently have caught up with Intel even at 1080p gaming.

The more cores/threads the better.
Okay I'll take a look. Unfortunately at the moment I can't really afford a new CPU, so I'll have to wait. That's kinda why I was hoping it wouldn't be a CPU issue, but I guessed it probably was.

Also, if I were to buy and install a new CPU and motherboard, would my GPU then start working properly straightaway, or would there be more steps I'd need to take?

Okay I'll take a look. Unfortunately at the moment I can't really afford a new CPU, so I'll have to wait. That's kinda why I was hoping it wouldn't be a CPU issue, but I guessed it probably was.

Also, if I were to buy and install a new CPU and motherboard, would my GPU then start working properly straightaway, or would there be more steps I'd need to take?

While that will solve you're main issue, let's check a few more things to see if there will be any potential issues down the road after a motherboard/CPU upgrade:

1. What speed does your RAM run at? AMD CPUs are more sensitive to RAM speeds than Intel CPUs. At least 3200 MHz is preferred, 3600 MHz is the sweet spot (at least for 3000 series Ryzen; the 5000 series might be a little different.
  2. What is the exact model and age of your power supply? You're putting a decent load on it with a 2080 Ti, and stuffing a new high core count unit in there will increase you power draw requirements further.
  3. What hard drive/ SSD are you using right now?

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
While that will solve you're main issue, let's check a few more things to see if there will be any potential issues down the road after a motherboard/CPU upgrade:

1. What speed does your RAM run at? AMD CPUs are more sensitive to RAM speeds than Intel CPUs. At least 3200 MHz is preferred, 3600 MHz is the sweet spot (at least for 3000 series Ryzen; the 5000 series might be a little different.
  2. What is the exact model and age of your power supply? You're putting a decent load on it with a 2080 Ti, and stuffing a new high core count unit in there will increase you power draw requirements further.
  3. What hard drive/ SSD are you using right now?
I believe my RAM currently runs at 3200MHz, my power supply is a Corsair RM850, and the drive my Windows is installed on is a SAMSUNG 850 EVO.

Also, I'll be looking at getting the 5000 series asap, however the one thing I wasn't sure on was which motherboard would be best to get alongside the 5950x once I eventually get it. I was looking at the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi of course). Could I get some opinions on whether this would be a good choice or not.

Ok then, it seems like your RAM, power supply and SSD are all good to go (nice choice of PSU).

That actually looks like a really good motherboard: it has a lot of good features, has a very capable VRM setup, and even has an editor's choice recommendation from Tom's Hardware. I don't think you can go wrong with that one.

Side note: Thinking about it some more, your 850 Evo is undoubtedly capable (I've owned several 840/850/860's myself actually), but now that you'll be getting a motherboard with a M2 slot (PCIe 4.0 no less!) you can easily make a serious upgrade to your maximum sequential read/write speeds with a PCIe 4.0 nvme SSD. Some of the best ones have read/write speeds more than ten times faster than your 850 Evo.

Solution

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020

That actually looks like a really good motherboard: it has a lot of good features, has a very capable VRM setup, and even has an editor's choice recommendation from Tom's Hardware. I don't think you can go wrong with that one.

Side note: Thinking about it some more, your 850 Evo is undoubtedly capable (I've owned several 840/850/860's myself actually), but now that you'll be getting a motherboard with a M2 slot (PCIe 4.0 no less!) you can easily make a serious upgrade to your maximum sequential read/write speeds with a PCIe 4.0 nvme SSD. Some of the best ones have read/write speeds more than ten times faster than your 850 Evo.
Okay great, thanks for that. Also what NVMe SSD's would you recommend?

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020

Also do you think I'd need to get new RAM along with the other stuff or not? I was looking at Corsair Dominator Platinum, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying for new RAM if my current set are fine. They are fairly old though so I'm not sure what would be best really.

Okay great, thanks for that. Also what NVMe SSD's would you recommend?

I've bought Samsung SSDs for years and currently have a 2 TB 970 EVO that I like a lot, but I think that the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 is the best you can get right now. They have great reviews, are really fast, and are reasonably priced compared to a similar Samsung nvme drive. A 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 is $200, and a 2 TB one can be had for I think $420.

Also do you think I'd need to get new RAM along with the other stuff or not? I was looking at Corsair Dominator Platinum, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying for new RAM if my current set are fine. They are fairly old though so I'm not sure what would be best really.

I think your RAM is probably fine. If it turns out that a Ryzen 5950x runs best with 4000MHz RAM (just as an example) then I'd say by all means, but until you know that by upgrading you'll unlock a decent performance uplift, your upgrade $$$ would probably be better spent elsewhere.

InfamousNathan

Commendable
Oct 31, 2020
I think your RAM is probably fine. If it turns out that a Ryzen 5950x runs best with 4000MHz RAM (just as an example) then I'd say by all means, but until you know that by upgrading you'll unlock a decent performance uplift, your upgrade $$$ would probably be better spent elsewhere.
Okay I'll probably leave the RAM for now then, thanks a lot for the help so far, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this all sorted soon.