Getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD after upgrading to Windows 10

TheCoolsurdy

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Hello,

I just got the BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT when playing H1Z1 (a memory intensive game). This is the first time I've got this BSOD, the other time my computer just had a hard lock which required a hard reset (holding down power button) while also playing H1Z1.

I have had no computer issues, but I got the first freeze the day after I upgraded to Windows 10.

I have 8 GB of 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Currently I am scanning my entire system for viruses and malware using Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and MalwareBytes, and also will run passes of Memtest overnight.

I have already ran 5 passes of Windows Memory Diagnostic with no errors, as well as 2 long generic SeaTools scans for my SSD.

In March/April I did have earlier computer issues which related to a bad Hard Drive, then a bad SSD. (I have gotten quite unlucky!). In the process of finding out what was defective I RMA'D my Corsair RAM and received a replacement. Anyway I thought my fair share of computer issues was done for, but ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 I've had this issues. I'm a hardcore gamer and virtually NO issues whatsoever in the past 3 months, upgrade to Windows 10, and bam. Maybe it is a coincidence, idk.

Looking for some help/input.

Solution
I looked at your memory dump. Basically the memory manager tried to read from the pagefile.sys and got a error indicating that the data written did not match the date read back. This means that the data was corrupted during the transfer.

you will want to free up space on your drive. run cleanmgr.exe

you should turn off virtual memory, reboot your machine, delete your hidden c:\pagefile.sys , turn on virutal memory and reboot again.
I would also run crystaldiskinfo.exe and have it read your smart data to check to see if you are having drive problems.
Other things that could cause this would be outdated SATA controller drivers (get new ones from your motherboard vendor)

(you might also, check you drives cables or move the cables...

TheCoolsurdy

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

My MoBo (MSI 970A-G46) has no drivers on the website, I only have Realtek audio and Nvidia drivers. The rest are Windows default and I have never had any issue with them for the past 3 months. No errors in device management either. So I don't have any chipset or SATA drivers, just using Windows default. I will double check to make sure my Realtek drivers are Win10 compatible.

TheCoolsurdy

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Okay. I ran BlueScreenView and the driver causing it is ntoskrnl.exe, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSoD 0x1a.

I also ran 2 passes of Memtest for 3 hours, and Prime95 for 1.5 hours, no errors and no BSOD in Prime95.

Keep in mind I've had NO issues the past months but right after I upgrade to Windows 10, problems occur. This could very well be a coincidence but what are the odds?

I ran /sfc scannow and "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

There are a few recovery options in Windows 10:

8bfc38c6e734e2ab9afb76155f84d3dc.png

I'm thinking of going back to Windows 8.1 using the option provided...will that help or not? I still have the windows.old folder and I know Windows 10 was simply installed on top of Windows 8.

I could try reinstalling Windows, but that would be last resort as it would take a long time.

I will try running Memtest for a few more hours and overnight, see if I still get 0 problems.

Here is also the .dmp file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8V3audHu_fsM0E4bDUxanRuMzQ

I looked at your memory dump. Basically the memory manager tried to read from the pagefile.sys and got a error indicating that the data written did not match the date read back. This means that the data was corrupted during the transfer.

you will want to free up space on your drive. run cleanmgr.exe

you should turn off virtual memory, reboot your machine, delete your hidden c:\pagefile.sys , turn on virutal memory and reboot again.
I would also run crystaldiskinfo.exe and have it read your smart data to check to see if you are having drive problems.
Other things that could cause this would be outdated SATA controller drivers (get new ones from your motherboard vendor)

(you might also, check you drives cables or move the cables to a different port in the case of bad connections, also solid state drives tend to kick up errors when the drive starts to fill up (in case you have one))

-also the dump file size was too small to save all the info.

Solution

Trophyon

Honorable
Nov 28, 2014
I have a similar problem, random bluescreens when playing games and sometimes not. I ran memory diagnostic and no errors were found. I don't understand how to continue working this out.

Byron_3

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
I have been getting the same problems over the last few months. I thought it was the 1070 I bought causing the problems, but the results also show up on my old gpu as well.

KHORAJIN

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Hi all,
since Windows 10 was released i had the same problem, short to my system:
MSI Gaming 5
i7 4790k
MSI GTX 970
Samsung Pro SSD 256GB
after a while of testing i put down the Memory Speed in Bios down to 1333Mhz and after that all bluescreens and crashes are done. I dont know why, but in my system this works to bring the system stable.