Question Getting my provider to cough up the PPP password for DSL modem ?

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
I'm getting ready to purchase a DSL modem and return the one issued (Arris NVG443B) by my DSL provider Frontier Communications as I am currently having problems that they refuse to address. My main concern is how it will be able to authenticate & connect to their service? I once asked for the PPP password on a tech support call due to a recurrent issue with a NetGear modem they provided losing all the config info, and they refused me that info. I'm 60 years old and know only a bit about networking. Can someone point me to a step by step doc for this process or give me a semi-simple answer? TIA

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Generally you can locate an ISPs approved list of compatible modems, purchase one, and then inform them you have it. They can generally see these on their network and activate them remotely.

Going outside of their supported hardware is probably not going to get you anywhere.

I've used my own modem a time or two. Currently stuck with the AT&T modem for fiber, but at least they don't charge you for it.

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
And I will ask about the problem(s) with the Arris?

It is possible that all that is needed is a factory reset then the Arris is set up as if new.

FYI:

https://modemly.com/Arris-NVG443-router-setup

Just a thought....
The problem with the Arris is that the Website Blocking under the Firewall section only works intermittently. It will blocks the websites for an hour, then lose the ability to block websites for a couple of hours. This problem has occurred on two different NVG443Bs. Frontier told me this week that they are not setup to address such issues. A factory reset has no effect on the issue. I have grandchildren that visit and it just easier to block certain websites on the router than to listen to my DIL's idiotic complaints after they get home

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
Generally you can locate an ISPs approved list of compatible modems, purchase one, and then inform them you have it. They can generally see these on their network and activate them remotely.

Going outside of their supported hardware is probably not going to get you anywhere.

I've used my own modem a time or two. Currently stuck with the AT&T modem for fiber, but at least they don't charge you for it.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Frontier only has two approved DSL modems listed on their site. The Arris and a NetGear model. They no longer support the NetGear model according to their tech support. They did recommend some Amazon Eero service, but I refuse to give a dime to Discount Lex Luther

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://support.sasktel.com/app/ans...arental-controls-on-your-arris-nvg448-gateway

To be honest I am a bit skeptical about Frontier's response....

However (to be fair about it) from the link:

Restrict access by time of day

"This feature isn't working properly right now. The default time zone is set to Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) which is 6 hours ahead of Saskatchewan time. This can't be changed but we're working on a fix. You can try to add 6 hours to the times you wish to use but we can't guarantee it will work."

Another option may to be to block the websites by IP address versus URL.

Reactions: DavidRexGlenn

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This steps off a little into probably not my business, and seems they may be involving you in a situation that should not be your concern.

If the kids have mobile devices that can connect to the internet, it should be the parents responsibility to set up restrictions for their children on said devices. If they are doing so, what is different between their home and yours (setup)? Are they blocking these sites from home? Are they using the child lock features on the device, as it were?

Almost no matter what you do they will probably be able to use a proxy or other method to connect where they aren't supposed to. The average internet knowledge of a preteen now surpasses what would have been advanced knowledge years ago. These kids discuss this stuff at lunch and on the playground. With access they are certain to eventually find a way around. Smart little jokers.

I think in this situation it might be worth unplugging the modem or otherwise disabling or even changing the password for their access while they visit and get them a ball or a frisbee to play with outside.

This is just my .02 on it and not meant as strict advice towards your grands and how your family dynamic should be working.

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
FYI:

https://support.sasktel.com/app/ans...arental-controls-on-your-arris-nvg448-gateway

To be honest I am a bit skeptical about Frontier's response....

However (to be fair about it) from the link:

Restrict access by time of day

"This feature isn't working properly right now. The default time zone is set to Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) which is 6 hours ahead of Saskatchewan time. This can't be changed but we're working on a fix. You can try to add 6 hours to the times you wish to use but we can't guarantee it will work."

Another option may to be to block the websites by IP address versus URL.
Thanks for the link and the suggestion. I also am skeptical. Even with as little as I know about routers, the steps they took to troubleshoot this problem made it glaringly obvious their Premium Tech Support people know less than I do

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
This steps off a little into probably not my business, and seems they may be involving you in a situation that should not be your concern.

If the kids have mobile devices that can connect to the internet, it should be the parents responsibility to set up restrictions for their children on said devices. If they are doing so, what is different between their home and yours (setup)? Are they blocking these sites from home? Are they using the child lock features on the device, as it were?

Almost no matter what you do they will probably be able to use a proxy or other method to connect where they aren't supposed to. The average internet knowledge of a preteen now surpasses what would have been advanced knowledge years ago. These kids discuss this stuff at lunch and on the playground. With access they are certain to eventually find a way around. Smart little jokers.

I think in this situation it might be worth unplugging the modem or otherwise disabling or even changing the password for their access while they visit and get them a ball or a frisbee to play with outside.

This is just my .02 on it and not meant as strict advice towards your grands and how your family dynamic should be working.
My DIL should be working for Frontier. LOL. I have a mind to change the password to a 40-digit irrational number and assign them the task of trying to crack it. Frisbees are more fun though

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the link and the suggestion. I also am skeptical. Even with as little as I know about routers, the steps they took to troubleshoot this problem made it glaringly obvious their Premium Tech Support people know less than I do

Checklist warriors, that is all. These are people off the street with a script and perhaps one person on site with a small handful of knowledge. Anyone that knows their chops in that industry have WAY better things to be doing and getting paid for than troubleshooting your home internet.