Getting new ssd while still using hdd

Oct 27, 2018
AM I able to freshly install windows 10 on my new SSD then still be able to use my old HDD without losing its data and use it for second storage?

Solution
yes. disconnect the hard drive, install windows to the SSD, once windows is installed and updated shut down the system. reconnect the HDD and boot the system (you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS) from the SSD. once the system is set to boot to the SSD you can access the other hdd anytime as secondary storage.

you should be able to change the boot order in the BIOS and still boot to the HDD.

you may need to import the foreign disk (HDD) in the disk manager

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes. disconnect the hard drive, install windows to the SSD, once windows is installed and updated shut down the system. reconnect the HDD and boot the system (you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS) from the SSD. once the system is set to boot to the SSD you can access the other hdd anytime as secondary storage.

you should be able to change the boot order in the BIOS and still boot to the HDD.

you may need to import the foreign disk (HDD) in the disk manager

Solution
Oct 27, 2018

what do i need to import?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the new windows may see the old install on the hdd as a foreign disk and may not allow access until it has been imported to the new system in disk manager.
its a possibility however unlikely I wanted you to know about. once imported the drive will be usable as normal.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if the new windows does not see the drive. open disk manager and the disk will be listed as foreign, right click on it and select import. let it do its thing and the disk is good to go. again this may not even happen but if it does...