[SOLVED] getting several BSOD errors on new PC

Jun 28, 2020
Hello!

So about a week ago I built my first PC. I set up everything, and it booted on the first try, everything went fine; until I started playing video games. I first tried playing Overwatch, but soon, after a few hours, the game froze and my PC restarted by itself; without a BSOD. I checked the temps, and they were always fine; the CPU around 53 degrees, the GPU around 61. After a while of that happening, I started having several BSOD errors. I will list them later below. Here is some information that might be useful: Specs; AMD Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1660 SUPER, 16GB RAM 3200, a 500GB SSD m.2.

BSOD errors;

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (dxgkrnl.sys)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

It might be worth mentioning that I never get a BSOD while doing anything besides gaming: it only and always happens when gaming, I even tried lowering the graphics. The BSOD didn't even occur while editing on After Effects.

Here's what I tried so far:
sfc scannow
windows memory diagnostic
checked if the drivers are outdated
uninstalled recent programs
uninstalled antivirus
used ccleaner to fix issues/clean storage

I'm really new to the PC world, so I'm sorry if I might not understand everything first try. I'm thankful for all advices!

Kalle96

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
Hey!

My first thought would be that this issue is related to a faulty driver. You mentioned that you had checked in the drivers are outdated, but could you be a bit more specific? What drivers did you check, and with what method?

Jun 28, 2020
Mainly the drivers that I installed right after I launched Windows! The GPU and the motherboard drivers; I just checked the version of the newest driver and compared it to mine.

Kalle96

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
See if you can update the driver for the SSD, do not use the windows driver thing that doesn't work in my experience. See if the manufacturer of your SSD has a driver manager perhaps or just downloadable drivers from its website. Kingston has their Kingston SSD Manager for example.

Jun 24, 2020
I had some BSODs when I initially built my PC and updating main drivers fixed the issues for me. My motherboard is an MSI so I downloaded Dragon Center and simply updated the important ones from there. Maybe check if your manufacturer has some software you can download as well and do the same.

Colif

Win 11 Master
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (dxgkrnl.sys)
95% of the time I see Direct X crash the cause is GPU drivers.
try running DDU and use either newer Nvidia drivers, or run windows update after DDU and let windows find drivers for the card - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Reactions: mochiiverse
Jun 28, 2020
Hello!
I am really sorry for the late answer. I followed your advice today and a couple of hours later, I googled to see why the Anti Cheat driver vgk.sys causes a blue screen for me; a reddit user with the same specs as me pointed out how enabling the xmp profile caused a blue screen for him; I too enabled that, to reach the advertised 3200mhz, so I disabled that to see if that would fix the problem. And to my surprise, I played Valorant for 3 hours without a blue screen; I have yet to test if I still get BSOD in other, more demanding games. Why is it that enabling the XMP profile causes a blue screen? I guess that would also explain why most of my blue screens are RAM related? That would also explain why resetting Windows didn't fix the blue screens. Now that I disabled the XMP profile in the BIOS my RAM is at 2133mhz...

Jun 28, 2020
I'm sorry what are the memory codes? And the memory listing? My RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz. I did not update my BIOS as I've been told that it is not necessary, and this is my first time with a PC, so I didn't want to mess things up. My motherboard is the Gigabyte b450m ds3h