Question Getting started with new build system (OC Help needed)

reavokx

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Hi all, new member here.

I recently decided to build myself a new gaming PC after getting sucked back into the PC world with the re-release of WoW Classic (i know) - but now I wanted to play more games as well. For the past 5 years I didn't have a PC and working primarily off Macbook Pros, and Xbox for gaming.

Anyways I used to build all my own systems back in the day with the last one about 5 years ago. I just finished building my new system and now would love to tweak it to run as good as it can without going into the very extreme.

I'm interested in overclocking the video card, the CPU (if there is room on the Ryzen) and the RAM if possible.

I tried watching some youtube videos and googling but it seems everyone is using different processes and tools so I wanted to get some advice from you experts on what you think could be done and how to make sure everything works properly after oc'ing.

Thanks in advance!

Here is my new setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jt2DCb

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Team GX2 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Level 20 VT MicroATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: EVGA G5 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans

Photos of my build (in case you care):

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly, with modern CPUs & GPUs, the OC'ing headroom really isn't there.
There's a nominal increase over "stock" ops on the GPU, but it really is negligible IMO.

Ryzen chips will boost in accordance with temperature and voltage headroom (and VRM quality, I believe) and Nvidia GPU's will boost to their maximum provided temperatures & power limits have not been met.

With an AIO on the CPU paired with a solid board, you should be fine at "stock".... All I would do for the GPU is slide the "power target" within MSI Afterburner to it's maximum.

On the memory front, you'd likely see more benefit in tightening timings (if possible) opposed to increasing clocks...

Reactions: Phaaze88