Getting sub par gtx 760 performance...I feared this upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
So I replaced my 560ti and got a geforce gtx 760 boost and was very stoked to get it up and running. However, I am barely noticing big changes in terms of fps and performance. I expected a lot more out of this card honestly for the money I spent. Could my CPU be bottle knecking me like HARD here? In dense battle scenarios in games, I tend to stutter and have frames drop really low. In Marvel heroes, putting aside its terrible optimization issues which everybody complains about, I am only seeing a slight improvement in max fps, whereas it dips to the same MIN value fps as before with the 560ti. I also just hopped on that trash of a game D3 just to see the comparison, and I stutter a lot with the 760, both with v-sync on and off.

What do you guys recommend? Do I return this card? I really don't feel I'm getting nowhere near my moneys worth right now unless getting a new cpu and mobo will magically make all my issues go away.

Here are the current specs:

gtx 760 2gb boost, windforce cooled
phenom II X4 955 be @ 3.85ghz
asus m4a79xtd evo mobo
650w corsair psu
older 500gb hdd
24" synaps lcd
wind 7 64bit
8gb ripjaws

Would getting an I5 , fx 6300 or 8350 fix my issues? If not, I have to figure out what to do here.

Thank you. Any feedback would be appreciated here.

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I appreciate your help in trying to help me out here, this is frustrating. However, if you were in my position, would you return the card and pick up a 770 or a r9 280x, or go the alternate route and hold onto this current card and hope the cpu/mobo upgrade does it well?

From what I understand, I'm guessing picking up one of the cards I mentioned above would yield in even higher performance whereas the cpu and mobo would possibly stabilize any unnecessarily lag and fps dips. Am I correct in that aspect?

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, I need to think about what I should do, this stankssss... as I have like 5 days if I wish to return the card. But if the card is fine, I may look into formatting and picking up that cpu/mobo combo. Maybe an i5 if I feel like spending more or stay amd based with the Fx chips. Well. I'm logging for the night. Thanks once again for sticking around suggesting options, shitty that these things are rather hard to trouble shoot.