[SOLVED] Getting the “Ethernet cable is not properly plugged in or might be broke” message

Jul 28, 2021
I was using my computer a few days ago, using ethernet with no problem. And then when I decided to get on today it was not connecting to my ethernet cable, it wasn’t detecting it. I assumed my current ethernet cable was broken, so I bought a new one. This new one is currently having the same problem. I’ve tried all the solutions I’ve researched such as uninstalling and reinstalling my ethernet driver i’ve tried a lot of the command prompt I’ve also. I don’t think it is not my Internet problem or ethernet problem, I’ve got a successfully connection to my Xbox through Ethernet. I am very frustrated and would love to get some answers, thanks.

Solution
Do you get any lights when you plug the cable in either on the computer port or the router.

When it is broken at this level there is not much it can be. It is normally a driver or the cable both of which you changed.

To check that it is not some strange software thing I would get USB linux boot image. These run completely off the USB and do not damage your windows install. Although you will see messages on the boot if the port came up they go real fast. All the ones I have seen have a web browser installed so you should be able to test network with out even known unix commands.

If this works then you have to hunt down some strange windows thing, might give up and just reinstall.

If linux does not work it is likely a broken...
Do you get any lights when you plug the cable in either on the computer port or the router.

When it is broken at this level there is not much it can be. It is normally a driver or the cable both of which you changed.

To check that it is not some strange software thing I would get USB linux boot image. These run completely off the USB and do not damage your windows install. Although you will see messages on the boot if the port came up they go real fast. All the ones I have seen have a web browser installed so you should be able to test network with out even known unix commands.

If this works then you have to hunt down some strange windows thing, might give up and just reinstall.

If linux does not work it is likely a broken port. You can get pcie cards or you can use a USB3 ethernet port to replace it.

Solution
Jul 28, 2021

If linux does not work it is likely a broken port. You can get pcie cards or you can use a USB3 ethernet port to replace it.
Thanks for the info. It’s crazy to me because this build is pretty new and I’m not rough with it. Crazy if it’s a broken port.