Getting under 100mbps with 1 gig internet

lmk5508

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Hi all.
I recently upgrade my internet package from 100mbps to 1000 mbps. My setup is cable running from wall into router, then cable from router into my PC. I currently am using cat 5e cables. I did have a cat 5 cable running from router to my PC, which was only showing 100mbps on my NIC, but I upgraded to cat 5e, now my NIC shows 1.0 gbps. I also upgraded the NIC drivers. The cable running from internet port on the wall to the router is cat 5e. I also purchased a router with gig ports. (TPLink Archer C1200) When all is connected, if I run a speed test on my PC, I get around 80ish download/upload speed. If I eliminate the router and run from the wall directly to PC and do a speed test, I get about 750 download, 700 upload speeds, so it doesnt look like an issue with that cable or my ISP, I would think.

Any ideas on what I could be missing? Should I upgrade both cables to cat 6 or could there be another issue?

Solution
make sure the read was in megabytes and not megabits. megabits are tiny compared to megabytes and if you were getting 100 megabytes when you were told you would get 1000megabits per second then that is a near perfect ratio for what you should be getting if you paid for 1gigabit and not 1 giga byte be getting. check this, because 1giga byte per second internet is stupid and i dont think even large corps like linus tech tips get that much so just check this. it might just be a misunderstanding

lmk5508

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
The cable going from wall to the router is a CAT5E. The cable running from PC to router is new CAT5E, but I plan on replacing just to see if that is the issue. Im just not sure what else the issue could be. The house is brand new construction, so I assume the ports are wired correctly. And if I run from wall to PC directly, I get over 700mbps in speed test.

only a few routers hit 900+ TCP WAN->LAN. that one should do better than 100Mbs if it's port are rated for higher, try factory reset.
a new one is still probably worth it since you have 1G. also put your whole lan on a switch. I'd pick a router from the below link.

for wifi unifi APs are great if you go with a router with no wifi.
it's best to have weak aps in multiple rooms than 1 in the house. that way each room can hit the max and the house won't share all the channels. the max won't be close to 1G fyi, but you can get 100+ in each area with the right setup.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/179-wan-to-lan-tcp/35

Don't try to run qos, vpn, or pretty much any service other than basic nat/fw.
if you really want to have any service, try and run it on other machine or buy a x86 router for pfsense or ipfire.

make sure to test the both cables modem-> PC to make sure it's not one of them.

getting the most out of 1G takes a decent investment and planning. avoid anything fixed in place using wifi. try to use wired. esp wifi ip cam. smart home stuff can be used with zwave+zigby

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
make sure the read was in megabytes and not megabits. megabits are tiny compared to megabytes and if you were getting 100 megabytes when you were told you would get 1000megabits per second then that is a near perfect ratio for what you should be getting if you paid for 1gigabit and not 1 giga byte be getting. check this, because 1giga byte per second internet is stupid and i dont think even large corps like linus tech tips get that much so just check this. it might just be a misunderstanding

Solution