Question Getting WiFi 125 yards to detached garage

May 17, 2019
I'd like to get a WiFi signal to/from our apartment to a detached garage that is about 125 yards away. Following are the details I can think to provide. I'd greatly appreciate advice on equipment that would get the job done.
  • Apartment is on 2nd floor
  • AT&T BGW210-700 router is in the middle of the apartment with 2 walls between it and the exterior of the apartment (to the balcony)
  • There is Ethernet from the router into the living room, which adjoins the balcony
    • It would be easy to get Ethernet to the balcony where I could mount an antenna
  • The garage is approximately 125 yards away from the apartment
    • It has a metal door
    • The exterior is brick and metal siding
  • There is also an intervening carport that is about 100 yards away from the apartment
    • It has a metal roof that is in the line of sight between the apartment balcony and the garage
  • If absolutely needed, I could mount an antenna high on the exterior of the garage that would give line of sight to the balcony
    • However, I'd much prefer to mount the antenna inside the garage above the door
  • The PC in the garage is at the far end about 20 feet away from the front
  • I run Windows 10 and Android devices
  • Antennas need to be as unobtrusive as possible
I did see a post on checking out Ubiquiti equipment, but without calling their support line I'd have no idea what equipment would be appropriate. I thought I'd ask here first.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

kanewolf

Titan
On the balcony you would mount an outdoor directional access point -- A Ubiquiti nanostation or similar. On the outside of the garage, high enough to clear the obstruction, same thing. That creates a point-to-point bridge. Then an ethernet cable brings the network inside. Add a switch or WIFI access point for local WIFI.

May 17, 2019
Thank you.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti NanoStation AC Loco. Would you recommend this device? And just to confirm, I would need two; correct? Finally, Ubiquiti is recommending two PoE surge protectors at each end? Is this something you would recommend (or are they just trying to sell devices really not needed)? I can see having one protector, but two for each device seems odd.

Thanks again,
Andrew

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti NanoStation AC Loco. Would you recommend this device? And just to confirm, I would need two; correct? Finally, Ubiquiti is recommending two PoE surge protectors at each end? Is this something you would recommend (or are they just trying to sell devices really not needed)? I can see having one protector, but two for each device seems odd.

Thanks again,
Andrew
If you had a good line of sight, then one might be sufficient. With your description, I don't think that would work. Get the 5Ghz nanostation, put a pair of them in as a point-to-point link.
I don't know about the surge protectors. They are like insurance. If you can afford to replace the equipment, then you can be self insured and do without the surge protectors.

Reactions: SerenityNetworks
May 17, 2019
If you had a good line of sight, then one might be sufficient. With your description, I don't think that would work. Get the 5Ghz nanostation, put a pair of them in as a point-to-point link.
I don't know about the surge protectors. They are like insurance. If you can afford to replace the equipment, then you can be self insured and do without the surge protectors.
Excellent. Thank you all for the input. I'll be making the purchases today.

Much appreciated,
Andrew

TRENDING THREADS