Getting Windows 8.1 OEM for new PC vs Full Version

Birdhouseman104

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I am building a new PC to play games on and have been looking into purchasing Windows and I have learned that it's not as simple as just choosing 64 or 32-bit and the Windows version. I have noticed there is Windows 8.1 OEM and Windows 8.1 non-OEM. In addition, I have noticed that OEM versions of Windows 8.1 are the most common among different online retailers that sell Windows.

My question here would be, is there any down sides to an OEM version of Windows that would lead you to simply buying a full version? I do not plan to be moving the Windows on this machine I will be building to a different computer in the future.

Like I have said above, I am BUILDING the PC; I am NOT formatting a hard drive in a prebuilt computer and reinstalling Windows.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
OEM copies are single use only. Once you associate them with your computer, that copy cannot be used again. One of the few exceptions to this rule is if you have to RMA your motherboard or boot drive. So for example, if you install an OEM copy and decide you want to buy a different motherboard in 6 months, you'll have to purchase another copy of Windows. If you use a full-retail copy, then you can reuse your Windows license as many times as you like as long as you uninstall it before installing it in your new build.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
OEM copies are single use only. Once you associate them with your computer, that copy cannot be used again. One of the few exceptions to this rule is if you have to RMA your motherboard or boot drive. So for example, if you install an OEM copy and decide you want to buy a different motherboard in 6 months, you'll have to purchase another copy of Windows. If you use a full-retail copy, then you can reuse your Windows license as many times as you like as long as you uninstall it before installing it in your new build.

Solution

Birdhouseman104

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Thank you for the information!