GF 3 worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Plus 2d as well:
<A HREF="http://www.avault.com/hardware/avscreenshot.asp?pic=geforce3&num=23" target="_new">http://www.avault.com/hardware/avscreenshot.asp?pic=geforce3&num=23</A>

G

That's why I said ONLY but a GeForce 3 if you need a new card NOW. If your current card is good enough to get you by for the next year, then by all means, keep it until then. But if you must upgrade now, then get a GeForce 3 if you can at all afford it. That is cheaper in the long term than getting an intermediate card now and then buying AGAIN in a year to get the GeForce 3, which is what your advice seems to imply. It will also give you good FSAA immediately, and will let you tap into DX8 features as games are released/patched over the next year.

Regards,
Warden

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
And also if you want to do 3D Games development. If you can learn a thing or two about the programmable renderers, it will increase your job a lot in the 3D market.

I wonder, when 3D Cards start getting Physics engines on them. I think its only a matter of time (2-5yrs?). When that happens Game development is gonna be a lot like simulation modelling, perhaps on a smaller scale. They do most of that on Supercomps. but then again the current GF3 T&L is way better than a 5 year old SGI station (I Think). Game playing will also vastly improve. Mass related collisions in Car games, Beat'em ups, Bullet Rebound etc, Fluid Hair and Clothes movement, Water Ripple, tide, Breaking glass (yeah!) and a HUGE improvement in Flight Sims.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

Shoot, I am excited just to see what will be done with physics on the CPU, once the game developers can count on it being free from T&L duties. Have you seen that Xbox demo with the ping-pong balls on the mousetraps? Fascinating! I have seen another demonstrating water, but can't think what's it's called. Also, check out the debris modeling on Max Payne, breaking glass and all. It is very cool. :cool:

Cheers,
Warden