[SOLVED] Ghost GPU Utilization

TheMitchG

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
Hello all,

I installed this 1080 Ti yesterday and it was idling at 24 C with almost no clock, and now suddenly it's up at 44 C and using half my memory clock with apparently nothing GPU intensive running on it. Any help getting this under control would be appreciated.

Screenshot

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Any application that grabs the attention of the GPU can keep the clocks higher than a true idle. Browsers, certain tray applications, etc could all potentially use the GPU for something, just depends on what they are.

If you see no usage, that doesn't mean there aren't things that would round down to zero.

Also never hurts to check for malware.

TheMitchG

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
I understand that 44 C is within a normal idle range for GPUs, and that clocks go up and down, but this card idled in the 20s for 6 hours straight yesterday while downloading my steam library, and the clocks are not going up and down. They are locked in at exactly the numbers in the previous screenshot and do not deviate by a single digit no matter if I open multiple apps or close them all. Rebooting helps sometimes, but as soon as it happens again, it gets locked in always at those exact clocks.

View: https://imgur.com/HkK3OKE

This is my normal idle. Temp hadn't quite come back down from the 40s in the previous post. It's at 28 currently.

Edit: I've just noticed that every time I run an app, it also jumps to exactly those clocks, but then falls back to normal ones.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Has your ambient temperature changed since then? Have you set a custom fan curve? I really just do not see anything out of the ordinary here. It is normal for temps and clocks to fluctuate.

maybe somebody else could chime in.

TheMitchG

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
The keyword in your responses is fluctuation. It is not fluctuating. It gets locked in at 1506/5508 and does not move by one digit no matter if I open 10 apps or close them all.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
That’s precisely what i meant by fluctuation. My gpu mem clock could remain at 150mhz for hours but then go to 750 then stay there.

it is just the way it is, the memory needs to refresh the core needs to redraw the display, etc.

do a clean install of windows if that would give you peace of mind…

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Any application that grabs the attention of the GPU can keep the clocks higher than a true idle. Browsers, certain tray applications, etc could all potentially use the GPU for something, just depends on what they are.

If you see no usage, that doesn't mean there aren't things that would round down to zero.

Also never hurts to check for malware.

Solution