Question Ghost Recon: Wildlands CPU Bottleneck

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
In towns GPU is at 60% usage and CPU is at 100%. It will usually be 45 - 55 FPS in the towns, I don't have a CPU bottleneck for any other game (besides GTA V) and i'm wondering if there is any possible way to fix this without upgrading.

Specs:
RTX 2060
i5 8600k
2TB SeaGate HDD
EVGA w1 WHITE 600w

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
which resolution are you playing at? i have seen people use 8600k with an rtx 2080 and theres no real sign of a "bottleneck" but then again every 8600k with 2080 combo ive seen so far from either forums or social media posts do play on either 1440p 60hz+ or 1080p 144hz and up.

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
which resolution are you playing at? i have seen people use 8600k with an rtx 2080 and theres no real sign of a "bottleneck" but then again every 8600k with 2080 combo ive seen so far from either forums or social media posts do play on either 1440p 60hz+ or 1080p 144hz and up.
Sorry for the late reply, I play at 1080p 60hz. I think you may be confused that I have a 2080, I don't I have a 2060. I'm not sure why but most Ubisoft games (with an open world) seem to be heavily CPU bound.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Sorry for the late reply, I play at 1080p 60hz. I think you may be confused that I have a 2080, I don't I have a 2060. I'm not sure why but most Ubisoft games (with an open world) seem to be heavily CPU bound.

i know you have a 2060 i was just pointing out that there are people who use the 8600k with an rtx 2080 which is a significantly faster gpu than the 2060 and they dont experience bottlenecks.

but yea ubisoft games like assassins creed do like fast cpu mixed with good core count but still the 8600k should still be doable and not be a bottleneck since it has good core count of 6 and good stock clock speeds but back to your question of how to resolve it without upgrading. id say overclock the cpu, its probably your only choice with out spending extra money.

but i just noticed your powersupply isnt good at all and id advise you change it. there are psu tier lists online which you can look up, id even suggest you change that asap.

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
i know you have a 2060 i was just pointing out that there are people who use the 8600k with an rtx 2080 which is a significantly faster gpu than the 2060 and they dont experience bottlenecks.

but yea ubisoft games like assassins creed do like fast cpu mixed with good core count but still the 8600k should still be doable and not be a bottleneck since it has good core count of 6 and good stock clock speeds but back to your question of how to resolve it without upgrading. id say overclock the cpu, its probably your only choice with out spending extra money.

but i just noticed your powersupply isnt good at all and id advise you change it. there are psu tier lists online which you can look up, id even suggest you change that asap.
Hey again, I tried overclocking my CPU today and it didn't improve anything. I was wondering if leaving my CPU stock and overclocking my GPU would work? Also, my PSU has been giving me trouble since I bought it but I didn't bother upgrading. Whenever a game goes over 120 fps, my PC will just turn off without warning forcing me to cap my fps. I wonder if my PSU could be the problem?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
hello again, if you overclock your gpu it would cause more "bottleneck".

and yes your powersupply is not great at all and its powering a pretty high end setup it , this is dangerous since you are risking your components with such a low quality psu

id suggest you get.
corsair TX/RMx/HX and if you can afford AX series or go with Seasonic Focus plus gold or if you can afford go for their prime models.

id recommend you not to use your pc that much for now. also now that i think of it it could be just a cpu bottleneck for 1080p 60hz since the 2060 is pretty powerful and more than enough for 1080p gaming. id suggest maybe cranking the details to the max and if theres an upscaling option like resolution scale or what not you can increase it to 150% to mimic something like a 1440p experience.

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
hello again, if you overclock your gpu it would cause more "bottleneck".

and yes your powersupply is not great at all and its powering a pretty high end setup it , this is dangerous since you are risking your components with such a low quality psu

id suggest you get.
corsair TX/RMx/HX and if you can afford AX series or go with Seasonic Focus plus gold or if you can afford go for their prime models.

id recommend you not to use your pc that much for now. also now that i think of it it could be just a cpu bottleneck for 1080p 60hz since the 2060 is pretty powerful and more than enough for 1080p gaming. id suggest maybe cranking the details to the max and if theres an upscaling option like resolution scale or what not you can increase it to 150% to mimic something like a 1440p experience.
Ok, thank you so much for your help man you've been great

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Ok, thank you so much for your help man you've been great

no problem i hoped i helped you in your worries.

so yea 1st thing you gotta do change your psu for now it could be that your gpu or cpu isnt really getting the power it needs due to the crappy psu thats why you get such bad performance.

so once you upgraded your psu to a better quality one try playing without changing any settings and see if theres improvement there, also monitor your gpu and cpu clock speeds, then after that if you do see an improvement then you dont have to do step 2.

which is try to OC your cpu again and see if theres any improvement from there if not try to OC your gpu too. anyways be careful with overclocking and happy gaming.

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
no problem i hoped i helped you in your worries.

so yea 1st thing you gotta do change your psu for now it could be that your gpu or cpu isnt really getting the power it needs due to the crappy psu thats why you get such bad performance.

so once you upgraded your psu to a better quality one try playing without changing any settings and see if theres improvement there, also monitor your gpu and cpu clock speeds, then after that if you do see an improvement then you dont have to do step 2.

which is try to OC your cpu again and see if theres any improvement from there if not try to OC your gpu too. anyways be careful with overclocking and happy gaming.
I will thanks, I'll try and reply once I get a new PSU