Giant lag while gaming but fine everywhere else

Feb 7, 2019
My PC specs
Core i5 7600k
1060 6gb
16gb ram
A tp link wifi router in my PC ( which is more then capable of anything )
2 tb HD
256gb ssd
( I built my PC)
144hz Acer monitor
Just lately we had a storm that turned up at our house and zapped our internet line and broke the modem, we got the new telstra smart modem gen 2 that they sent us, after that happend our internet has been perfect but when it comes to games it cant handle it at all, I used to never have problems before but now its getting weird, in Tom Clancy's rainbow six siege I get over 200 - 300 ping and over, I just started to get latency with my mouse and keyboard
and it would take half a second to register it to the game ( the game is unplayable ) , in a game called apex legend I have lag spikes ever 30 seconds for about 4 - 5 seconds I did a telstra speed test and we are getting fine internet ( download speed: 46mbps, upload speed: 16mbps, ping: 7 ), I just installed alot of drivers that came with my mother board on a disk hopeing it would do something but didnt, later I'm going to check if it happens with ethernet but I need help, feel free to reply
Thanks for reading this

Feb 7, 2019
I had the same experience, i was getting high speed downloads and i stream netflix with no issues, but whenever i start gaming i get spikes and DC from servers, turned out that my router was poorly made, i replaced it and everything went smooth since then, this might be your case and might not, dont take my words as a solution for your case .

Feb 7, 2019
it might not be my modem because a NBN guy come over and checked it out for 30 mins and everything was fine
should I contact Telstra for a new modem :??: ( edited ) we probably have no chance of even getting a new modem from Telstra anyway cause we have already got to many of them
I don't know what to do.... thanks for replying though
ok I just found out when I use the internet my upload speed is around 16mbps but when I play games online it goes to 1.7mbps.... so I think you are right, I think the modem is broken