gigabayte 970 molex connectors?

imarja21

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Do i need to connect all molex connectors on my psu? I have only two of them. gigabyte gtx 970 comes with 6-pin an 8-pin adapter cabels who has in total 4 molex connectors?

Solution

You have a "550W" psu but no 6 or 6+2 pin PCIE connectors directly on the psu, then you have a bad quality psu. A decent 550W should have at least one 6 and one 6+2 PCIE.
I would avoid using molex...
First of all, uhm, yes, the graphics card has to be powered in order to work.

Second, you should NOT use the PCIe-to-molex adapter cables, if that's what you're talking about.

Your power supply should have actual PCIe connectors that fit into the GPU power. If it doesn't, then you have a problem in that it would be a very low end power supply and more than likely not able to power your system safely.

imarja21

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

I have 550 watts psu...now i have r9 270 dualx 4gb installed in my case with 2x molex to 6pin connectors, and it works nice...

You have a "550W" psu but no 6 or 6+2 pin PCIE connectors directly on the psu, then you have a bad quality psu. A decent 550W should have at least one 6 and one 6+2 PCIE.
I would avoid using molex adapters as it just means that your psu isn't good enough. Sure you can use them but I don't trust using these adapters.

Solution

Tom 1993

Reputable
May 9, 2015

I know it's a bit outdated, but I use the molex adapters for my 970. Never had any issues so far. I do have the modular cables with 6/8pins but using the molex reduces the quantity of cables in my case.