Gigabit Speed Netwok

Food Gamer

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Hi i want to know can i connect two computers by Ethernet without switch or other hardware to get 1000Mbps connection speed.
i tried crossover and i got 100Mbps. Pls Help

*Two computers support 1000Mbps

Solution
Your crossover cable may have only had 4 (of 8) wires connected. that would give a 100Mbit connection. You will have to set unique static IP addresses on the two computers since you don't have a DHCP server. Using a router, even without WAN connectivity, is a much simpler implementation.

Gigabit network standard will automatically cross-over. A straight through cable is all that is required.

kanewolf

Titan
Your crossover cable may have only had 4 (of 8) wires connected. that would give a 100Mbit connection. You will have to set unique static IP addresses on the two computers since you don't have a DHCP server. Using a router, even without WAN connectivity, is a much simpler implementation.

Gigabit network standard will automatically cross-over. A straight through cable is all that is required.

Solution
When you look at the specs for gigabit there is really no concept of transmit/receive and certain pair combinations. It transmit on all 4 pair on both ends at the same time. Some engineering magic related to echo cancelers allows both ends to transmit and receive 1gbit at the same time.

Generally if you use a crossover cable the auto negotiate get confused and you end up with a 100mbit/sec connection.

Still for some reason the ethernet ports do not always negotiate a connection properly even with a straight cable. Even when they do you still must set all the tcpip setting manually on both ends.

Nov 27, 2018
Hi, what happens when PC1,PC2 and PC3 each transfers 10GB file at the same time to another PC's, PC6, PC7&PC8 which Connected on another Switch, both the switches are Gigabit and its connected via Gigabit SFP Module.

will each machine transfers with 100MB/s Speed ? or speed will be divided ?