[SOLVED] GIGABYE z490 AORUS Master Not Posting - DDR Indicator On

Jul 29, 2020
In the middle of a new build - 5th or so build I've done, but given I do them every 3 or so years I'm not expert. This is the first problem I haven't been able to trouble shoot during the build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K
MB: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master
Ram: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR3600 (PC4-28800)
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11G Turbo Edition

Built the machine in case - CPU fans running, GPU & Ram are lighting up - but not posting, no graphical output. The Ram LED is lightin, and the CPU LED flickering very rarely before soft restarts. I haven't been able to decipher the POST codes outside of some mundane ones.

I've since moved out of case, stripped down to CPU + 1 piece of RAM and continue to see the same problem.

I'm concerned I was too enthusiastic with the memory/cpu mix. I'm running an i7 on my current build, and didn't think a frequency constraint could be imposed by the processor.

Going to the Gigabyte specification I see the following under supported memory:

• Intel® Core™ i9/i7 processors:
    Support for DDR4 5000(O.C.)/4933(O.C.)/4800(O.C.)/ 4700(O.C.)/ 4600(O.C.)/ 4500(O.C.)/ 4400(O.C.)/ 4300(O.C.)/4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2933 / 2800 / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz
  • Intel® Core™ i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® processors:
    Support for DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
  • 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128 GB (32 GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  • Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
  • Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
Should I take the highlighted text to mean that the i5-10600K won't be compatible with the 3600 RAM I've lined up? Are there work arounds for this? Would this lead to a failure to post?

I wanted to get feedback before I go and purchase an i7/i9.

Any feedback / suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
You don't need to try other DIMM slots. If none of the DIMMs will work in the A2 slot, which is the second one over starting at the CPU and moving to the right, then the memory is either not compatible with the board and MC or there is a problem somewhere, like a bent pin, CPU cooler too tight on one corner, lacking BIOS support, etc.

Yes, issues with the CPU due to bent pins can definitely, and do, often, occur without there being any indication of it via Q-code or LED. Yes, the fans would still work in 99.9% of cases.

missed that this was small form factor when I ordered it so I've had to use an extension kit for most the connections which we're considering (24 pin / 8 pin)

This could be part of the problem as well...
I do not believe so. I think that is just what it supports natively, same as what you'd see on the Intel specifications page that won't include any OC speeds.

Based on this, which shows them running the i5-10600k with 3600mhz memory, I'd say it's either a misleading specification on the Gigabyte product information or a board specific limitation. I seriously doubt it limits the memory to that speed though so I think it's a frack up by Gigabyte.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...core-i5-10600k-z490-motherboard-review?page=4

2666mhz is the NATIVE maximum speed supported WITHOUT enabling XMP for the Canyon lake i3 and i5, while the i7 and i9 support up to 2933mhz natively.

What is the EXACT model of the memory kit you are trying to use with this board?

Well, since it's not on the memory QVL for the motherboard on it's product page AND since Corsair has failed to yet add ANY Gigabyte Z490 motherboard compatibility listings to it's memory finder utility, I am unable to verify whether it is in fact verifiably compatible with that board or not.

Which DIMM slot are you using when you try just one DIMM? Have you tried all four DIMMs, individually, in the A2 slot, which is the second slot over from the CPU?

Have you pulled the CPU to make certain that no pins were bent during the installation?

Have you verified that there are no standoffs installed in the motherboard tray that are not directly, and exactly, lined up with ONLY the holes in the motherboard itself? Looked at the back of the board to make sure a stray standoff or screw didn't short anything?

Tried to POST without the graphics card installed, using the integrated graphics output only?

Did you connect BOTH 8 pin EPS 12v CPU power connectors along the top edge of the motherboard in addition to the 24 pin ATX connector on the right side?

What is the exact model of your power supply?

Jul 29, 2020
Which DIMM slot are you using when you try just one DIMM? Have you tried all four DIMMs, individually, in the A2 slot, which is the second slot over from the CPU?
I believe I tried the individual DIMM in the A2 slot - I haven't tried all 4. The first slot is a very tight fit w/ the CPU cooler I have in place so once I removed the 4 DIMMS I've been trying the 2nd and 4th slot. I can try all 4 just to make sure.

Have you pulled the CPU to make certain that no pins were bent during the installation?
I haven't done this yet - would an issue with the CPU not be signaled with the POST LEDs? Would the CPU fans work if there were a CPU issue?

Have you verified that there are no standoffs installed in the motherboard tray that are not directly, and exactly, lined up with ONLY the holes in the motherboard itself? Looked at the back of the board to make sure a stray standoff or screw didn't short anything?
Currently have the CPU out of the case - but it's still attached to the internal portion of the chassis. I will do this verification.

Tried to POST without the graphics card installed, using the integrated graphics output only?
Yes I have moved the GFX card out of the equation for now - assuming internal graphics will suffice to POST.

Did you connect BOTH 8 pin EPS 12v CPU power connectors along the top edge of the motherboard in addition to the 24 pin ATX connector on the right side?
I originally had both 8 pin EPS 12v connectors connected along the top, as well as the 24pin connector. I have since moved to only having 1 connected by default, as overviews on the board seemed to indicate 1 was sufficient and I am trying to remove variables.

What is the exact model of your power supply?
Corsair SF Series, SF750, 750 Watt, SFX, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

- missed that this was small form factor when I ordered it so I've had to use an extension kit for most the connections which we're considering (24 pin / 8 pin)

You don't need to try other DIMM slots. If none of the DIMMs will work in the A2 slot, which is the second one over starting at the CPU and moving to the right, then the memory is either not compatible with the board and MC or there is a problem somewhere, like a bent pin, CPU cooler too tight on one corner, lacking BIOS support, etc.

Yes, issues with the CPU due to bent pins can definitely, and do, often, occur without there being any indication of it via Q-code or LED. Yes, the fans would still work in 99.9% of cases.

missed that this was small form factor when I ordered it so I've had to use an extension kit for most the connections which we're considering (24 pin / 8 pin)

This could be part of the problem as well, potentially. Since you have it out of the case, eliminate the extensions.

Solution