Gigabyte’s Custom PC Houses Fish Above a Functioning Submerged System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
looking at the pic it didnt look like there was anything between the top and bottom layer. then saw they indeed just let the water sit on top of the whatever the hell theyre using to cool the pc part. very nice.

Charles Ward

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I saw things similar to this in the 80's at one convention I was working at our Olivetti both showing off the ETV 260. And next to us a now defunct Canadian Clone company that use to show off its pc's and MB's running under water. I remember that one well, as it was around the time the first sound cards came out. And that booth had one blaring "You spin me right round baby right round" pause..repeat.. non stop 18 hour days 3 days in a row.. was ready to walk over to the booth and strangle them...

Back then Maxum? I believe that was the company name had a coating they used to make electronics water proof, and an additive to water that made it non conductive. Although doubtful fish would like that additive. Even back then thought cool, and the market for this is?

stdragon

Admirable

Depends. That fish poop might actually float above whatever that liquid is at the bottom. Effectively in suspension that can later be scooped up with a net.

Truth be told, that heat would kill the fish no doubt. Looks cool, but yeah, not sure it be very habitable for the fishies.

Jun 5, 2018
"We’re always wary of situations like this where animals could be subjected to unhealthy or dangerous conditions for the sake of some wow-factor at a tech trade show."
Thank you for your concern about the harmful exploitation of animals.

"But we were told by Gigabyte that these fish had been living happily in their unusual home for two months so far, and that not a single swimming resident had died."
Would Gigabyte actually admit if the fishes were distressed by the set-up? What a barren situation for those poor animals.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

The market for submersive liquid cooling is data centers (as the article mentioned) and HPC. Several months ago, I remember reading about a HPC conference where numerous vendors had such systems on display (i.e. scaled up, sans fish).

The fish tank, if it serves any useful purpose at all, could just be there to show how safe the stuff is. I imagine they probably did it for the "wow" factor. Too bad about the fish poop layer and different IoR of the two fluids - it would be really neat if there wasn't an obvious boundary between the two.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
i was a big fan/purchaser of Gigabyte mobos for 15yrs due to reliability, but i'll be using a new company for a while.
...basically however long it takes for the damage they and other mfgs did to the industry by hopping onto NvPP at the expense of consumers. quietly joining was one thing, but the blatant "not for gaming" fiasco was just insulting.

respect your customers, while you have them.

(interesting tech from 3M in the article, btw - just to stay on topic)

popatim

Titan
This is similar to my submerged non-gaming htpc I experimented with a few years ago. My tank was split with the fish in front of the motherbd (no gpu since it used integrated graphics). It worked well until the grandkids knocked it over. What a pain that was to clean up. I never did try rebuilding it but i was pretty cool while it was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.