[SOLVED] Gigabyte 2080ti will only boot up randomly (cant figure out what makes it boot vs not)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Umar M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
Below is how I first was troubleshooting. But eventually found out that when hdmi is not connected the card spins up, as soon as it does I can connect the hdmi back. But if the hdmi is plugged in from a cold boot the 2080ti won't spin up. I am connecting to a TV if that matters, never had issues with this before until this gigabyte card.

Has anyone seen this before?

Edit: Now it only works when i unplug/unseat the graphics card and reconnect it...then it powers up.

im really not sure whats wrong here. Ive not had issues with a previous 2080ti, and ive reflashed the latest 3 bios'.

Last edited:
Solution
Good point about the fans, i didn't twig. my 1080Ti does the same.

Im wondering. When i turn my comp on after my monitor i do sometimes get no display until i force restart. It's always done that since the day i got it. Using Displayport monitor. Never bothered to find out why, turning on monitor a few seconds later always works so i just made that a habit.

Pascal is pretty touchy about voltage inputs and needs a solid 12V to start, which is an issue especially on systems with many components which have a high power-on current (HDDs , pumps, and similar stuff)... the way you describe it, it seems as if it has a handshake problem but the real reason would be power-up sequence.

To verify, take a separate PSU, hook it up to the...

Umar M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
It's not likely the fans...many cards, mine included, don't even spin the fans until the card hits 60c. It sounds like you'll need to RMA the card.
Damn, was hoping that maybe it checks maybe that a working fan is present or something. I notice most cards on boot spin up the fan then it stops until it hits temp.

I just cant understand how when it runs it's perfect, benchmarks perfectly in 3dmark timespy 4k exactly as its supposed to. What could be causing it to start up sometimes and not others.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Im wondering. When i turn my comp on after my monitor i do sometimes get no display until i force restart. It's always done that since the day i got it. Using Displayport monitor. Never bothered to find out why, turning on monitor a few seconds later always works so i just made that a habit.

So, when the system boots up with the CPU on-die video (and monitor hooked up to it, not to the card) does the card still get detected and show up as a device in the system?
In case yes, something is wrong about the display handshake, or maybe the grounding/cabling/port is acting up or shot dead. I would try to attach ANOTHER display to it after the system is fully booted and see if it gets detected in different display ports.
In case not - GPU has to be diagnosed, likely a hardware issue. There are no further user-friendly troubleshooting steps that I would advise unless you are a tech...

Edit: forgot to ask, do you happen to have fast-boot enabled? If so, disable that first.

Last edited:

Pascal is pretty touchy about voltage inputs and needs a solid 12V to start, which is an issue especially on systems with many components which have a high power-on current (HDDs , pumps, and similar stuff)... the way you describe it, it seems as if it has a handshake problem but the real reason would be power-up sequence.

To verify, take a separate PSU, hook it up to the card (use a powered riser if you have one) ground the inverted-enable pin with a clip, (pin 16 to either 15 or 17), let it run for a sec and only then power up the PC.

I would try it on the TS card too but he mentioned swapping out a PSU so... I assume it handles the current delta well enough.

P.S Make sure to have a common ground between the PSUs.

Last edited:
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for the suggestions vov4ik. Just wanted to acknowledge your reply, i appreciate it. I won't go into it further here not to hijack op's thread. System runs fine however, it's not an issue i could be bothered diagnosing really.

Umar M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
So, when the system boots up with the CPU on-die video (and monitor hooked up to it, not to the card) does the card still get detected and show up as a device in the system?
In case yes, something is wrong about the display handshake, or maybe the grounding/cabling/port is acting up or shot dead. I would try to attach ANOTHER display to it after the system is fully booted and see if it gets detected in different display ports.
In case not - GPU has to be diagnosed, likely a hardware issue. There are no further user-friendly troubleshooting steps that I would advise unless you are a tech...

Edit: forgot to ask, do you happen to have fast-boot enabled? If so, disable that first.
In this case the GPU is NOT detected in the BIOS, whether I put it in the PCIe x6 or x8 slot....or now confirmed even in other systems. I believe you're right that it is the GPU at this point.

To verify, take a separate PSU, hook it up to the card (use a powered riser if you have one) ground the inverted-enable pin with a clip, (pin 16 to either 15 or 17), let it run for a sec and only then power up the PC.

I would try it on the TS card too but he mentioned swapping out a PSU so... I assume it handles the current delta well enough.

P.S Make sure to have a common ground between the PSUs.
Yes I've done quite a lot of testing, along with switching out to a brand new Corsair PSU, and as of yesterday I tried the card in TWO other systems and both exhibited the same issue and the card not detected at boot.

I get why the card isnt detected, as its not even spinning up, Its for sure getting power though. Thank you for your suggestions. And I suppose the issue is as you mentioned a handshake issue of some sort, as when it goes successfully the card runs no problem.

Thank you for the suggestions vov4ik. Just wanted to acknowledge your reply, i appreciate it. I won't go into it further here not to hijack op's thread. System runs fine however, it's not an issue i could be bothered diagnosing really.

System is all fine outside of GPU (and now has a new PSU 😂)...Ive run Intel Burn Test, Prime 95 3dmark (inc. CPU), memtest.....only other thing I can think of is BIOS hates the GPU for some reason...some real Gigabyte on Gigabyte crime if you ask me.

So want to thank everyone for their help here, Im trying to keep my son positive. I've reached out to Gigabyte and they have agreed if I want I can do an RMA. Going by the serial the card is still under warranty (you can tell by reading the date in the serial number) but without a receipt they will not be able to replace the card if it cant be repaired. I suppose at this point that is my only option.

Umar M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
As a follow up for anyone who ends up here with this same issue, only an RMA helped. Gigabyte had to actually replace the card with a new one.

They didnt tell me what was wrong of course, but whatever causes this issue is not repairable and requires replacement.

Dont bother wasting a week of time if you've tried everything above. Either RMA it or sell it for parts. We got lucky in that GB just replace the card with a new one. Thank you everyone for your help.

As a follow up for anyone who ends up here with this same issue, only an RMA helped. Gigabyte had to actually replace the card with a new one.

They didnt tell me what was wrong of course, but whatever causes this issue is not repairable and requires replacement.

Dont bother wasting a week of time if you've tried everything above. Either RMA it or sell it for parts. We got lucky in that GB just replace the card with a new one. Thank you everyone for your help.
Great, you finally got a working card.
I would imagine on hardware issues they do repairs afterwards and give your card to the next guy. It is a process that takes time.

Reactions: Umar M

Umar M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
Great, you finally got a working card.
I would imagine on hardware issues they do repairs afterwards and give your card to the next guy. It is a process that takes time.
Yeah my son is happy, thanks for all the help.

I figured that's what happened as well, whatever was wrong wasnt a quick take the fan off and replace thing i suppose.