Jan 19, 2016
What the title says.

my build is currently:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
32GB (4x8) G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE Video Card
Corsair RM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I just got my new 3080 and plopped it into my computer no problem and turned it on. Everything was working fine until I went to try to test out the card on one of my games. I opened up destiny 2 in 1080p and high settings and got only 90fps. I had my task manager open on my other monitor and it said my GPU was using only 40%, and my CPU and RAM were only using 60% power. I don't believe its a bottlecap because I should be pulling around 200fps, according to benchmarks with similar cpus. Any advice is welcome but I have tried a lot of things to no avail.

Solution
I had an EVGA 1070 before that, didn't use DDU but will try it out. I'm not the most experienced but even when switching to 1440p I'm still only hitting 80 in D2 and GTA I'm dropping to 50fps. I'm not necessarily trying to fully utilize the GPU but I think I should be getting higher performance in my games. it feels like it's doing worse than my previous card.
A higher resolution would not increase the FPS but would utilise more of the gpu’s potential. The RAM speed is choking the cpu performance but with that said faster RAM isn’t going to double the FPS.

Also try enabling PBO, that will also give a nice cpu boost if cooling is sufficient.

Aertheos

Honorable
Jan 19, 2016
2400mhz RAM on a Ryzen 3600 can have a significant impact on performance.

What gpu did you have before and did you use DDU to remove the old driver? Not always needed but might be a good thing to try https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Ultimately though you won’t be able to fully utilise a 3080 in many games at 1080p, it really is best suited to 1440p and above.

I had an EVGA 1070 before that, didn't use DDU but will try it out. I'm not the most experienced but even when switching to 1440p I'm still only hitting 80 in D2 and GTA I'm dropping to 50fps. I'm not necessarily trying to fully utilize the GPU but I think I should be getting higher performance in my games. it feels like it's doing worse than my previous card.

A higher resolution would not increase the FPS but would utilise more of the gpu’s potential. The RAM speed is choking the cpu performance but with that said faster RAM isn’t going to double the FPS.

Also try enabling PBO, that will also give a nice cpu boost if cooling is sufficient.

Solution