Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming: scared of the dreaded SAG

Karnosiris

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
TSIA really. I'm torn between the MSI and the Gigabyte version, leaning toward the Gigabyte version but its heavy as hell and I've heard quite a lot of people saying it sags heavily. I've even seen one guy solve the problem by stacking lego under the sagging part, although I'm really not sure if thats the best idea.

Any MacGyvers come up with exotic solutions to their sagging G1's or am I being overly cautious here? I have this kind of nightmare scenario of the GPU sagging to the point where something that really shouldn't touch the motherboard does exactly that and breaks both.

Solution
My MSI 970 sags. The cards are just heavy, so some may sag. It's not a big problem, though.

A good solution I've seen is using a threaded rod with plastic caps at the end. Just measure and then prop it up at the end of the cards, it's a cheap and effective solution.

See this post and this post for an example.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
My MSI 970 sags. The cards are just heavy, so some may sag. It's not a big problem, though.

A good solution I've seen is using a threaded rod with plastic caps at the end. Just measure and then prop it up at the end of the cards, it's a cheap and effective solution.

See this post and this post for an example.

Solution

Karnosiris

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

Thanks guy, I guess I'll order the G1 now then and see if I can get the suitable rod and caps at a construction market in the next few days. (Also wow, that was fast.)