Gigabyte 990FXA - UD3 REV 3 issue

Marko Milanovic

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
I have the stated motherboard from Gigabyte, I know it has North Bridge overheating issues but my board seems to be okay with that, the problem/inconvenience I have is that when I turn my PC on it turns on for 3 seconds then back off and then turns back on and boots normally. My PC has a FX 8350 OC'd to 4.7Ghz on 1.4v and a 1000 watt PSU. I don't mind this issue but can it damage my components? Or is this some kind of condensation protection like Asrock have?

Any help would be great :)

Solution
Seems to be a faulty capacitor in the mobo, after the cold boot and it's subsequent self-restart whichever capacitor is the problematic one gets charged enough hence the next soft or even cold restart/turn on it's ready to work properly, after leaving it turned off for a while it loses it's charge causing the problem once again.

Like I said before, if that's the only problem you shouldn't really have any issues with it in the long run.
Could be due to your OC, or it could be due to a defective capacitor in the mobo, I had the same issue on an old MSI-P35-Neo, however that mobo lasted me for almost 5 years until I decided to get an entire new build so if you don't see any other impact while using the PC and don't mind that "issue" everytime you turn on the pc you should be fine.

Marko Milanovic

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

It's just weird cause when I restart the PC it doesn't have the issue, only when I do a cold start or save settings in the BIOS. And my FX 8350 is running on 5ghz at 1.475 v atm

Seems to be a faulty capacitor in the mobo, after the cold boot and it's subsequent self-restart whichever capacitor is the problematic one gets charged enough hence the next soft or even cold restart/turn on it's ready to work properly, after leaving it turned off for a while it loses it's charge causing the problem once again.

Like I said before, if that's the only problem you shouldn't really have any issues with it in the long run.

Solution