Gigabyte Adds SATA 6 Gb/s, USB 3 For AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
noob questions: will you see a performance hit when using a PCI-E 2.0 card in a regular x16 PCI-E slot and is there a performance hit/difference between using cards in sli/crossfire in (x16/x16) versus (x8/x8)? an example of the card would be 5850's or maybe 275's. a bit off topic but i'm confused about the whole "lanes" talk in the article.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]noob questions: will you see a performance hit when using a PCI-E 2.0 card in a regular x16 PCI-E slot and is there a performance hit/difference between using cards in sli/crossfire in (x16/x16) versus (x8/x8)? an example of the card would be 5850's or maybe 275's. a bit off topic but i'm confused about the whole "lanes" talk in the article.[/citation]No. Read the whole article.

Gigabyte indicated that its X58 based boards, like its 790FX boards, do not have the PCIe lane limiation of the P55 boards.
Obligatory spelling correction: limitation*

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Adding usb 3.0 & sata 6 (really sata 3 @ 600MBts thruput) to motherboards are a GIMMICK to be able to charge $100 more for the motherboards. Nothing more. The limited hardware vendor support is a true indication of that early adopter premium. They motherboard makers could have at least partnered with other companies to provide for "affordable hardware", but no.. this is for the rich status class of having new technology first. Just as you may've been the first on your block with a BLUE RAY player, then recorder, etc. The day will come when it will cost the same as our current lineup of boards with 2.0 and sata II (300). The tech industry is swinging the pendulum back to OBSOLESCING technology just as we did in the 1980s again. You only have to look at the flash industry.. SD is setting the cutoff point for sdhc @ 32gb, then rushing head-long into sdxc (2tb cutoff-- maybe, first make the capacity-- then we'll see how long it lasts). There will probably be some backwards compatability to sdhc, but sd is all but dead. You don't even see cards sold anywhere anymore. My advice is to avoid the early adopter premium to line the pockets of these companies and let them recoup their investments over a LOOOONGER period of time-- that way they won't be so fast is obsolescing it so quick. Just look at AGP, it had a nice 4-6 year run until bandwidth madness caught fire, of course to compensate for the lack of adequate broadband infrastructure across the USA.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]noob questions: will you see a performance hit when using a PCI-E 2.0 card in a regular x16 PCI-E slot and is there a performance hit/difference between using cards in sli/crossfire in (x16/x16) versus (x8/x8)? an example of the card would be 5850's or maybe 275's. a bit off topic but i'm confused about the whole "lanes" talk in the article.[/citation]

yes actually and in a year or (sometimes NOW) so x8 would bottleneck most high end graphics card (severe on the 5970) and even x16!

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]Adding usb 3.0 & sata 6 (really sata 3 @ 600MBts thruput) to motherboards are a GIMMICK to be able to charge $100 more for the motherboards. Nothing more. The limited hardware vendor support is a true indication of that early adopter premium. They motherboard makers could have at least partnered with other companies to provide for "affordable hardware", but no.. this is for the rich status class of having new technology first. Just as you may've been the first on your block with a BLUE RAY player, then recorder, etc. The day will come when it will cost the same as our current lineup of boards with 2.0 and sata II (300). The tech industry is swinging the pendulum back to OBSOLESCING technology just as we did in the 1980s again. You only have to look at the flash industry.. SD is setting the cutoff point for sdhc @ 32gb, then rushing head-long into sdxc (2tb cutoff-- maybe, first make the capacity-- then we'll see how long it lasts). There will probably be some backwards compatability to sdhc, but sd is all but dead. You don't even see cards sold anywhere anymore. My advice is to avoid the early adopter premium to line the pockets of these companies and let them recoup their investments over a LOOOONGER period of time-- that way they won't be so fast is obsolescing it so quick. Just look at AGP, it had a nice 4-6 year run until bandwidth madness caught fire, of course to compensate for the lack of adequate broadband infrastructure across the USA.[/citation]

Normally I would say you are right, but the cost of the board is under 190$ US. The parts that a person would buy to actually use everything the board offers would cost 10 times the price of the board. So to me it's a win-win type deal. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]Adding usb 3.0 & sata 6 (really sata 3 @ 600MBts thruput) to motherboards are a GIMMICK to be able to charge $100 more for the motherboards.[/citation]

First of all, there is no SATA 3 or SATA 6, it's SATA 3.0 Gb/s and SATA 6.0 Gb/s like the article title says. Forget what the marketing pros at the companies call it (no, it's not USB 3 and SATA 3 like some prefer to say).

Second, Gigabyte charges the same for its P55A-UD6 as its P55-UD6, and its price difference for other boards is targeted at $15 (I asked).

So the only truthful thing you said is that it's a gimmick, but that gimmick is to sell more boards than its competitors by offering features most people won't use. Hey, that's a pretty good gimmick, when's the last time you used all the I/O connectors on YOUR PC?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]First of all, there is no SATA 3 or SATA 6, it's SATA 3.0 Gb/s and SATA 6.0 Gb/s like the article title says. Forget what the marketing pros at the companies call it (no, it's not USB 3 and SATA 3 like some prefer to say).Second, Gigabyte charges the same for its P55A-UD6 as its P55-UD6, and its price difference for other boards is targeted at $15 (I asked).So the only truthful thing you said is that it's a gimmick, but that gimmick is to sell more boards than its competitors by offering features most people won't use. Hey, that's a pretty good gimmick, when's the last time you used all the I/O connectors on YOUR PC?[/citation]

Actually I'm one of those people that use all of the IO connectors, I can never have enough. I have 4 Hard Drives that take up all of my on-board SATA ports, have an add-on PCI-E card that gives me two more ports. I use 5 of my 6 USB ports (mouse, keyboard, 360 controller, 2 External HD's) so I leave one open in case I need to hook anything else up. Also, I have a wireless PCI card, TV Tuner PCI Card. So yeah, I do use quite a few slots =P.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Warsaw[/nom]Actually I'm one of those people that use all of the IO connectors, I can never have enough. I have 4 Hard Drives that take up all of my on-board SATA ports, have an add-on PCI-E card that gives me two more ports. I use 5 of my 6 USB ports (mouse, keyboard, 360 controller, 2 External HD's) so I leave one open in case I need to hook anything else up. Also, I have a wireless PCI card, TV Tuner PCI Card. So yeah, I do use quite a few slots =P.[/citation]

How many FireWire devices? How many PS/2 devices?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]How many FireWire devices? How many PS/2 devices?[/citation]

Lol, well I don't go overboard like that =P. But occasionally do use FireWire, but only once in awhile.

Aleksa2009

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Gigabayte usb3 sata3 motherboard GA-790FXTA-UD5, downside visually comparing capacitors, mosfets and ferrite core chokes to predecessor motherboard GA-MA790FXT-UD5P are lower quality.

kurtd

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Awesome, this is what I've been waiting for, an AMD board with sata 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0. I plan on hooking up a couple raid 1 drives and 4 more drives in a raid 5 configuration for backup. It's going to be housed in the ABS Tigas case.

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
WIll I suffer from these limitations when using 2 RAID-0 COnfigs with sata 6GB/s like: 2xSSD128GBsataIII Raid-0 + 2xHD1TBsataIII RAID-0 while using x16/x16 crossfire/sli everythink at the same time?? I rly like this mother but if it will limit the sli or the raid I don't bother on waiting a little more to get it all!

G

will gigabyte ga 790fxta-ud5 run ddr3 1866 memory? iam ready to buy and i would like the best speed it will take

Status
Not open for further replies.