News Gigabyte Announces Windows 11-Ready Motherboards

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
If fTPM is all that Windows 11 requires (it's not), then lots of motherboards are compatible. Needs a fTPM-compatible CPU, also, but those have been around for several years too, or plug in a hardware TPM (once the scalpers have made their panic bucks). Other things will probably be more significant drivers of 11 compatibility. Good to know which motherboards Gigabyte has verified, though.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If fTPM is all that Windows 11 requires (it's not), then lots of motherboards are compatible. Needs a fTPM-compatible CPU, also, but those have been around for several years too, or plug in a hardware TPM (once the scalpers have made their panic bucks). Other things will probably be more significant drivers of 11 compatibility. Good to know which motherboards Gigabyte has verified, though.

Correct, my launch day ASUS Crosshair VI Hero has TPM 2.0 which can be enabled in BIOS. However paired with the R7 1800X I have in it gets a big fat NO.

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
I enabled fTPM and my PC passed Win 11 certification.
But, two days later on boot I got message that my TPM is corrupted. Only way forward is resetting TPM. This means no boot without Bitlocker recovery key.
And now what? Enable fTPM and wear recovery keys around?
I do not have Bitlocker but what else is in TPM?

Btw Gigabyte software is crap, very big crap. fTPM is another example.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Correct, my launch day ASUS Crosshair VI Hero has TPM 2.0 which can be enabled in BIOS. However paired with the R7 1800X I have in it gets a big fat NO.
When you say you get a "no", is that from the PC Health Check app? Because that may not have anything to do with TPM. Win11 requirements say you need Ryzen 2K or newer (or Intel gen 8+), in addition to TPM 2.0 requirement.

I believe all consumer Ryzen CPUs support fTPM, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
When you say you get a "no", is that from the PC Health Check app? Because that may not have anything to do with TPM. Win11 requirements say you need Ryzen 2K or newer (or Intel gen 8+), in addition to TPM 2.0 requirement.

I believe all consumer Ryzen CPUs support fTPM, but don't quote me on that.

Yes its from the PC Health Check, which has since been pulled so who knows what will happen. I'm aware of the CPU requirement but my point was if TPM 2.0 is supported by the platform, the requirement for Zen+ seems a bit arbitrary.