Review Gigabyte Aorus 10000 SSD Review: Bold PCIe 5.0 SSD, If You Can Find It

I really wish you’d start measuring the amount of heat coming from these drives. The heat sinks are downright scary.
We'll look into it, but you can tell by the power figures that this size of heatsink is overkill. We're talking peak power of <12W, and that's nowhere near the average power under load of 6.7W. It's not that hard to deal with 10W of power use. The Crucial T700 had a significantly smaller heatsink and was actually faster (thanks to faster NAND).

Reactions: gg83 and Makaveli

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
What motherboard was it tested in? Nothing with a heatsink would work in my PCie4 Aorus Master--not enough clearance under my video card. Yes, those heatsinks are non-starters--too much heat, by far. My 980 Pro PCIe4 500GB NVMe SSD runs fine and cool enough at top, sustained PCIe4 speeds without a heatsink--whereas my PCIe3.0 960 EVO 250GB NVMe will not run sustained at PCIe3.0 speeds without throttling. (When the 960 EVO was my primary NVMe drive in the 0 position, I could not do an AV scan of C:\ without the drive failing to complete the scan. No problem with the 980 Pro in the 0 slot position, with the 960 moved down to the next NVMe slot. The 960 is fine for anything that isn't sustained operation.)

Makaveli

Splendid
What motherboard was it tested in? Nothing with a heatsink would work in my PCie4 Aorus Master--not enough clearance under my video card. Yes, those heatsinks are non-starters--too much heat, by far. My 980 Pro PCIe4 500GB NVMe SSD runs fine and cool enough at top, sustained PCIe4 speeds without a heatsink--whereas my PCIe3.0 960 EVO 250GB NVMe will not run sustained at PCIe3.0 speeds without throttling. (When the 960 EVO was my primary NVMe drive in the 0 position, I could not do an AV scan of C:\ without the drive failing to complete the scan. No problem with the 980 Pro in the 0 slot position, with the 960 moved down to the next NVMe slot. The 960 is fine for anything that isn't sustained operation.)
My corsair MP600 has a heatsink and its very slim compared to this.

So you would be fine with the PCIe 4.0 version however 5.0 if they all come heatsinks this big its going to be a problem.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess that the big ocie5 heatsinks are part/combination of early adopters tax with halo-tax.
If you wait a while until these drives are mainstrram, and don't go for the absolute newest and fastest, it's gonna be easy to find 10gbps drives that are ok with just the mobo heatsinks.

Anyone else having a problem with the "image expander (4-headed arrow)" in the upper right-hand corner of some of the pictures?
In this article, the first and third ones don't work when you click on them but the second picture works (the one with 2 images).
I have 2 Windows 7 machines and my main Windows 10 PC and it's the same on all 3.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
"Bold PCIe 5.0 SSD, If You Can Find It"
  • Performance leap over 4.0 is generally underwhelming
  • Poor power efficiency
With that nasty, chunky look, dubious performance gain, (and most likely wil be way overpriced).

Conclusion: I don't want to find it!!