[SOLVED] Gigabyte aorus 3080 RTX xtreme rev 2.0 crashing above 2Ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2021
Hey,

So after a fun time of installing drivers, updating bios, reinstalling windows and crap support from Nvidia i was able to pinpoint the issue...
If i leave the core voltage, and power limit on default, whenever the core clock hits above 2Ghz the game will crash...

If i raise the power limit + voltage to max and it's above 2Ghz it runs fine, however, i dont feel too good about it in the long run (it hits 1100Mv around 2075 ghz...)

If i underclock by -50hz, it runs fine but there is a decrease in performance that i dont really want to sacrifice...

Any ideas about best practice here? Haven't done much overclocking and it's the first time i hit such an issue with a GPU...
For the relevant specs -

AMD Ryzen 5900X
Coolermaster 850W PSU
ROG Strix B550-F
XPG 4x8GB 3200Mhz

Thanks! =]

Sep 27, 2021
This card is just an headache.

Yesterday I had no problem at all. But today my gpu start to crash.

Games crash right after loading ends. I have to restart to work it again.

Also Rgb Fusion is the buggiest program I have ever seen. Can't use rgb lights on the card. Preferences always restarts or rgb's turns off by itself.

I think I'm gonna return it. I'll stick with my Palit RTX 3060 ti. I'll wait for the 4000 series.

Sep 27, 2021
Well guess you'll have to see what Gigabyte says. I have had a few interactions/RMAs with them. While not great I have seen worse.
While it's running on 1920 ghz after the underclock, the voltage consumption is around 1080 mh
This card is just an headache.

Yesterday I had no problem at all. But today my gpu start to crash.

Games crash right after loading ends. I have to restart to work it again.

Also Rgb Fusion is the buggiest program I have ever seen. Can't use rgb lights on the card. Preferences always restarts or rgb's turns off by itself.

I think I'm gonna return it. I'll stick with my Palit RTX 3060 ti. I'll wait for the 4000 series.
Well, for that i can tell you two things as of now.

1. I underclocked it to 1920 at peak, and it's running stable, it's ignoring the limiters you set in aorus engine (Confirmed it with a friend that has the same card - he is hitting 2ghz+ but has a 1000W PSU, so he can handle the power spikes better).
  2. After i performed a clean installation of windows 10 (Enterprise edition if it's relevant), the RGBFusion started working for me and i could set the custom GIF too... dont know if it helps, but two painful days for me with this crap.

Sep 29, 2021
Try adjusting the voltage/frequency curve in afterburner perhaps you can run those clock speeds at lower voltages. I've had success with this.

Can confirm this occurs when using the OC BIOS that gigabyte ship the card with and further to that point the cards ship with OC BIOS enabled by default. So straight out of the box the 3080 aorus xtreme rev2.0 is an unstable card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So Aorus Engine is still a broken app?
I used it for a short while around 1080Ti launch. If I remember correctly, all the profiles would crash except the silent one - that includes custom ones too.
Went to Afterburner - nothing happened when I tried to copy the profiles' settings. So Aorus Engine got the boot.

Sep 27, 2021
Try adjusting the voltage/frequency curve in afterburner perhaps you can run those clock speeds at lower voltages. I've had success with this.

Can confirm this occurs when using the OC BIOS that gigabyte ship the card with and further to that point the cards ship with OC BIOS enabled by default. So straight out of the box the 3080 aorus xtreme rev2.0 is an unstable card.
I switched to silent bios.. nothing happend.
Today i had a crash ingame and a classic sound of hardware disconnect from windows and reconnected... and walla, i no longer hit the 2ghz and the card now peaks to 1905 top as it should.
Gigabyte sucks. This is the last time i'm getting anything from them.

Sep 29, 2021
These cards are capable of running stable over 1905 it's just that Gigabyte messed up the factory overclock on the OC BIOS. I have mine stable now peaking to 2040.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
on everything that was crashing it before yes. will it be stable for every game in the future? I don't know yet.
I said that because many users of 10 series and up gpus aren't aware of how the Gpu Boost algorithm 'breaks overclocks', even factory ones.
It's not really possible to know if a set OC is stable if the frequency can't be kept static.
Gpu Boost will dynamically change even your custom set core clock and voltage depending on the gpu's parameters.
Running into board power limits more frequently equals lower sustained boost clocks.
Higher thermals equals lower sustained boost clocks too.
In Game A, you may see it running at 2040mhz without a hitch.
Game B, it runs at 2040 at first. 5 minutes in, and it's running 2024 and stays there, until you're finished.
Game C, it's 'bouncing all over the place', between 2040 and 1911.
Things like that.

Sep 29, 2021
yea, I have noticed this behaviour. I saw OP mention that his card boosted to 2075mhz on OC BIOS, mine also went as high as 2080mhz @ about 1070mV - 1090mV.

I've been able to run the card stable at 1905mhz around 950mV and also around 2040mhz @ 1050mV but to your point, my card does in fact sometimes boost up to 2070. I've noticed whatever I set the frequency limit to in afterburner the card will in fact sometimes boost another +30 although gpu-z reports the voltage limit seems to be reliable.

Games that made the card crash before: Siege 2k 240fps, Cyberpunk 2077 (ultra settings), warzone. All of these games are stable now and I don't crash at all (tested for a few weeks at this point).

Weird thing is, my card has never crashed running 3D mark benchmarks, even on OC BIOS.

Perhaps I will find something in future that will in fact cause this card to crash again .

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
I've been running into the exact same issue. In my case, I've got two identical Aorus Model X (Intel w/ RTX 3080). And on one of them I had installed the Aorus Engine including the RGB thingy. On that one, the games would randomly crash - the more demanding the game the more easy to reproduce. In Cyberpunk all I had to do was start a new game (not load) and after pressing F to confirm the biometrics it would crash either on the loading screen or when pressing space to start the game scene. The other PC without Aorus Engine installed - no issues to this day.

Initially I also thought it's because of the 2070 MHz boost - because it was too sudden - it was jumping from a low freq to 2070 MHz in an instant when loading up the game scene. But then when I've tried capping the frequency to 1905 from Afterbuner and despite staying in that range it would still crash at the same point. So my next best guess was memory.

In any case, formatting and reinstalling Windows, rolling back drivers, etc, nothing helped. In the end I unplugged the PC, hit the CMOS reset button and after booting up it just worked. And so far no crashes in over 2 days. I still don't understand what was wrong, but just in case it helps anyone.

On thing I noticed - after the CMOS reset, the RGB settings reset to stock. When I initially installed Aorus Engine and the RGB management app, it did some sort of firmware update on it and changed the lighting effect from Wave1 to Fire (pulsating) and at some point I could see the lights as a USB disk device but after a while it was gone. I wonder if not - somehow - something - was actually trying to write at some address on that disk or something really stupid - I don't know. Anyways, leaving this here in case there's the slightest chance a CMOS reset will help anyone. And fingers crossed that mine won't start crashing again as soon as I submit this reply 😊

Reactions: alx01

Be4stElectrjc

Reputable
Jul 22, 2019
yea adjusting the voltage/frequency curve in afterburner fixed it permanently for me.

Hi, the frequency/voltage curve is an offset from the grey curve that's not static. Do you check its validity each boot?
Mine goes up to 2130 MHz sometimes and i need to tame it, but at least it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.