exesmokey

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
So the long story short;

I've got the following but I'm unsure on the Motherboard;

- Intel i5 K7600 Kaby Lake
- 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz
- Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming

I'm buying my goods on ebuyer.com as I get most of my stuff on there and can't be bothered to make loads of seperate orders from different places etc.

Currently I'm thinking about getting the Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming K5 (currently £155.99).
However I am wondering if I need this or can save like £15-20 by just getting a Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming (currently £139.97).

I have owned MSI boards in the past and like these too so anything below £155 would be good.

A few things:
I DO plan on overclocking a bit - not insane levels but obviously some.
I have NO plans or desires to spend another £500 on a graphics card so it will be a single card rig.

Any advice or input on a motherboard to pick, possibly better for the price or cheaper for what I need.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution

dlerium

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003

Personally as an owner of a Gigabyte Z270X Gaming K7, I think the BIOS has a lot of work to do. Don't get me wrong, no BIOS is perfect, but as a pretty good overclocker for air cooling, I think the features just aren't there. ASUS' adaptive mode is just a killer and they have a lot of features that make it plain and simple.

I realize you don't want to do anything insane, but I would say the things I do aren't insane either. I look for 24/7 stability and I bench my system as hard as I can (Prime 95) to the point where people think I'm limiting my overclocks. But hey, I use my system for years and the last thing I want is a bunch or issues 2-3 years down the road because my system was less than stable to begin with.

The Gigabyte Board looks great on paper and the hardware looks great, but the BIOS is just meh. Everywhere I look there's little explanation on how to use the Vcore DVID settings, whereas forums are LITTERED with ASUS users and guides tailored for Asus users. Plus, their own website has tons of information so you never have to worry.

Solution