Question Gigabyte Aorus x570 elite voltage change

Sep 27, 2019
Hello guys, yesterday i built my AMD system
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte x570 aorus elite
CPU cooler : Be quite Dark rock 4 PRO

and i noticed that even on idle my system was giving like 1,4 - 1,45 voltage and my tempratures was alot unstable, jumping from 35 to 50 on idle, so i went straight to bios/tweaker/advanced cpu settings/Core performance boost and disabled it, so now on idle it works on 1.0 voltage with 28c idle and 40c on some heavy cpu game like rust.
but i would preffer to change the voltage in the middle of 1,5 (before) and 1(now) and run it on something like 1,3 which i think is gonna be the best to balance the performance / temprature on my system, but i don't know how to do that, can somebody help me maybe?
thanks in advance guys.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The voltage and temperature you explained is perfectly normal, the latest Ryzen operates normally up to 1.5V.
It has a boost from idle feature whereby it applies heavy voltage to each core to boost it out of sleep and then stabilise which results in voltage and heat spikes when this happens - Thus your random fluctuations. In effect, it boosts a core out of sleep, so you have a big amount of voltage rush into a small space, thus the big and seemingly random heat jumps.

To help ease your mind further, here is an extract from Robert Hallock's post who is an AMD Technical Engineer who works with the community a lot:
It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system, with up to 1000 voltage and clockspeed changes every second. You will see a lot of bouncing around as you work with your system.

https://community.amd.com/community...te-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ryzen-5-3600-up-to-1-488-vcore.3517037/

Last edited:
Reactions: TechyInAZ
Sep 27, 2019
@PC Tailor @TechyInAZ i completely understand what you're saying and i really appreciate you help guys !
Please if you know, help me on this, at this moment i have disabled from bios the Core performance boost so it works about 1.0 voltage and my question is

How can i make it work max at 1,3 instead of 1,5 (even with Core performance boost enabled ? ) no problem with Core performance boost but this... how can i make it cap at 1.3 voltage instead of 1.5 please? :/

Sep 27, 2019
Why? AMD has insured that 1.5v is safe.

If it is for temps, ummm there's a temperature limit you can lower I think. But there is no real way to change it besides going with a hardcore manual voltage.
Just because I don't want it to run on the limit of 4.2-4.4 ghz even on idle and wanna make it like more safe till I will buy my next PSU as long this one is already 3 years old, so this will make my voltage lil bit more stable and more smooth.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just because I don't want it to run on the limit of 4.2-4.4 ghz even on idle and wanna make it like more safe till I will buy my next PSU as long this one is already 3 years old, so this will make my voltage lil bit more stable and more smooth.
When it's completely idle it won't run on 4.2/4.4 if you run something like HWINFO you'll find the voltage and speed drops regularly.

All myself and Techy are trying to say is we understand what you want to do, but there is no real benefit in doing so :)