Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 7 vs Asus Maximus IX Hero

gerilovski

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hello, I'm currently deciding of buying a motherboard to accompany the i7 7700k that I'll be buying and I've narrowed down to those 2 models. Asus one is a bit more expensive with it being ~35 euros more, but is it worth it? I doubt that I'll ever use SLI, I'd rather have better audio (even tho I'm on my headphones 99% of the time) and easier time overclocking (since my goal is to overclock my components when they're out of date). I'll go with Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16gb 3200mhz RAM and Noctua D15 (not the S version). Also since I'm going with the big noctua I'd like to know if I can successfully use it without hitting the ram/gpu on these boards.

Thanks for the response in advance :)

Solution
The Corsair LPX rams are low profile so they should go under the fans of the cooler.
P1050402.jpg

Regarding the board, you're good with which ever board you choose. It's kind of a toss up really with audio since the Asus board has the ALC1220 codec from Realtek while the Gigabyte board has the Creative Core 3D chip on it. The Asus board has more rear I/O panel connectivity, something people with a lot of USB device's might want to take note of.

Lutfij

Titan
The Corsair LPX rams are low profile so they should go under the fans of the cooler.
P1050402.jpg

Regarding the board, you're good with which ever board you choose. It's kind of a toss up really with audio since the Asus board has the ALC1220 codec from Realtek while the Gigabyte board has the Creative Core 3D chip on it. The Asus board has more rear I/O panel connectivity, something people with a lot of USB device's might want to take note of.

Solution

gerilovski

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Thanks for the answer! Just to let people know, I went with the gaming 7, and I had to buy ripjaws ram, which is great, but is a bit taller, so I had to mount the fan a little bit higher aswell, but that doesn't really matter. I'm happy with everything, the audio is awesome, everything works perfect.

gerilovski

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Sure thing, just need to buy a new case now and I'll post up an image, since my current case is crap and I can't even close it cause of the cooler. I'm having another thought now tho. Since my ram is taller, and one of the fans is a little higher (like half cm higher), do you think everything will fit and close in Corsair air 740? Case's specs in internet say max cooler height is 170mm, will like 180mm fit (my thoughts are that there's a little bit more space than they say)?

Lutfij

Titan
You shouldn't assume and take what they say first hand. Normally it's the case that gets purchased and the once the measurements add up, a cooler is purchased, not the other way round. I would say it would/could but if the cooler doesn't fit then you can opt for this approach:
omf_noctua_nh-d15_24.jpg

???

gerilovski

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Yeah true, I wasn't going to buy a new case, but as soon as I bought all the other stuff I said what the heck and decided to buy one. I just like the air 740 ^^

RadicalAns

Prominent
May 16, 2017

Thanks for this pic. I was worried about the clearance on the NH-D15 with Vengance RAM, but now I can buy with confidence.