Question GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro build with 3700x and 32gb RAM

Jan 20, 2020
Hello guys! Want to ask you some questions before getting disapointed if something does not work with the build I am planning. Is there any compatibility issue with this mobo and a Ryzen 3700x? I am not planning on overclocking. Secondly, should I buy 3000mhz ram or 3200mhz? Will I notice the difference? I will use this PC just for gaming. Also one last question, should I go for 2x16gb RAM or 4x8gb RAM? Is there any difference?

Thank you!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You should wait until B550 comes out if your planning on tossing in that much RAM. 400 series and below tend to be picky with speeds across four sticks, so you might have to spend time peckering around with it just to see them post at the labeled speeds. Ryzen 3000's also have a sweet spot starting around 3600mhz so running less is a bit of a performance hit especially if your running four sticks stuck at 2666- 2999 Mhz.

Jan 20, 2020
You should wait until B550 comes out if your planning on tossing in that much RAM. 400 series and below tend to be picky with speeds across four sticks, so you might have to spend time peckering around with it just to see them post at the labeled speeds. Ryzen 3000's also have a sweet spot starting around 3600mhz so running less is a bit of a performance hit especially if your running four sticks stuck at 2666- 2999 Mhz.
Hhmm what If I buy just 2 sticks of 16gb? I am not sure if I can wait, I live in a third world country and getting this kind of things here is really hard. Also I am getting this build because my last one died (faulty PSU).

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I suggest you ask Giga support, they have a rather epic help service on which sticks to pick for a 32GB setup.
I've seen a few people say these worked without much of a hitch but I will include a process that makes it a little less of a headache.

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BLS2K16G4D32AESB

Trident Z 3200MHz32GB (4x8GB)F4-3200C16Q-32GTZSW CL16

B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0)

Run and do all your installing under 1 Stick of RAM which includes the latest drivers and the EC FW tool
Use the EC FW tool to update your Bios.
Reboot to make sure everything is initialized.
Boot to BIOS and make sure XMP is disabled then install your second stick of RAM.
Shut down and remove the BIOS battery.
Boot To BIOS and verify your reading your sticks the turn on XMP.
Begin tweaking, you could be booting into 2999mhz or 3400mhz it's pretty hit and miss but you should be stable to tweak up to 3400mhz and possible 3600mhz if you're installing 3200mhz sticks.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I run 4 8GB sticks and all at 3200Mhz threw XMP .. as well note THAT BIOS will need updated to use a New Ryzen chip.. (3rn gen) and YOU NEED (or so I am told) a Second Gen chip to do this.. my system is very similar ,,, only I went with 2nd Gen Ryzen as I didnt have a way to upgrade Bios.. I'm not sure if you can just download Bios files from Gigabyte and install on board without a Second Gen chip .. so I just didnt wanna risk it.

Jan 20, 2020
Thank you guys for your information! I will be doing exactly what delaro said. Gfost73 thank you too, I already knew about the bios update, the store I will be buying the mobo upgrades it for you before shipping if you tell them you will be using it for a ryzen 3xxx. Now I just need to know if the Hyperx Fury RAM I will be buying is compatible with the mobo.