[SOLVED] Gigabyte B550M K POSTs okay but I can't enter BIOS Setup ?

Mar 23, 2023
I am setting up my first new build in a decade and have run into something I cant wrap my head around. Sorry in advance for the long post....

Assembled Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU outside of the case (sitting on cardboard box). The computer will complete POST with no errors. I get a single short beep from the speaker. I press DEL and will briefly (1 full second roughly...sometimes 2 seconds) see the Gigabyte BIOS splash screen, before it changes to an American Megatrends splash and...thats all I get.

I have tried both spamming and holding the DEL key (key to enter BIOS) and the F12 key (brings up boot order), but I can never enter Bios setup or change the boot order. I have tried 3 keyboards. Two USB and one PS/2. All 3 were recognized and had thier LEDs flash at POST.

I have cleared CMOS and no joy. [EDIT] I cleared CMOS by jumpering across the pins, as well as by removing the battery for some time. Both seperately and in tandem.

Even though it cleared POST ok, I reseated memory (using 1 stick to troubleshoot) and checked CPU for any bent pins. I have verified that the memory is officially on the support list. I verified that the default BIOS is compatible with my CPU. I even tried using Q-flash to update the BIOS, but I cant because pressing END (shortcut to start Q-Flash) does nothing.

I threw the SSD from my last computer (complete with a linux distro) into the mix thinking it might recognize that as the default bootable drive. I figured it would throw an error at me, but that would tell me something. No such luck. Same behaviour as before.

I have been futzing with this for 3 days and have reached my wits end.

My gut feeling is saying its a bad board, but it's rarely right...... Any help or recomendations would be appreciated. I will even take "Thoughts and Prayers" at this point!

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600G
Mobo- Gigabyte B550M K
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw 16gb (2x8)

Last edited:
Solution
The board supports the 5600G on its base BIOS revision. And it does have a way to flash the BIOS using a USB stick. Although, it does require a CPU as it uses a GUI (HDMI or Display Port are only options).

As I mentioned in the original post, I did try that route in the hopes that I could fix things if the existing BIOS was somehow scrambled. Unfortunately, it didnt work following the directions in the manual.
BIOS flashback is different from using the BIOS utility that does require a CPU. Your motherboard may not have the feature though.

But if you're confident the shipping BIOS should support a 5600G then about all that's left is returning the board as defective since it simply refuses to even boot into the setup screens.
Mar 23, 2023
Disconnect all drives and it should drop you into BIOS.

Also try resetting CMOS by removing the battery for several minutes.

Sorry, my post wasn't as clear as it should have been.

My first few attempts were with only CPU,Mobo, and RAM connected. Then I tried with a blank drive (tried both new NVM and HDD seperately). Then with an old SSD with an operating system already on it.

I have tried removing CMOS battery and jumpering across pins, seperately and in combination with each other.

My first few attempts were with only CPU,Mobo, and RAM connected. Then I tried with a blank drive (tried both new NVM and HDD seperately). Then with an old SSD with an operating system already on it.

I have tried removing CMOS battery and jumpering across pins, seperately and in combination with each other.
I'm assuming the motherboard BIOS is compatible with a 5600G...it should be this long after launch. But if you haven't yet, and it has a BIOS flashback, try updating it to the latest to be sure. You don't even need a CPU installed to update BIOS with a flashback feature. Your motherboard manual explains how and there are also several youtube demonstrations to guide you.

Otherwise, it would appear the board's defective and should be returned if you can.

Mar 23, 2023
I'm assuming the motherboard BIOS is compatible with a 5600G...it should be this long after launch. But if you haven't yet, and it has a BIOS flashback, try updating it to the latest to be sure. You don't even need a CPU installed to update BIOS with a flashback feature. Your motherboard manual explains how and there are also several youtube demonstrations to guide you.

Otherwise, it would appear the board's defective and should be returned if you can.
The board supports the 5600G on its base BIOS revision. And it does have a way to flash the BIOS using a USB stick. Although, it does require a CPU as it uses a GUI (HDMI or Display Port are only options).

As I mentioned in the original post, I did try that route in the hopes that I could fix things if the existing BIOS was somehow scrambled. Unfortunately, it didnt work following the directions in the manual.

Mar 23, 2023
I was thinking today that, since everything goes fine until I need keyboard inputs, the problem might lie there. I doubt multiple keyboards with different brands and connection would ALL have the same issue. If there was a problem with the ports however....

Maybe someone can answer this question:

If the drivers for PnP were somehow borked, would the keyboard LEDs (Num Lock, etc) still flash at POST?

I would think that I should get the keyboard error Beep Code (whatever that is) if a keyboard wasnt recognized due to PnP issues. Is that correct?

BIOS flashback is different from using the BIOS utility that does require a CPU. Your motherboard may not have the feature though.

But if you're confident the shipping BIOS should support a 5600G then about all that's left is returning the board as defective since it simply refuses to even boot into the setup screens.

Solution
Mar 23, 2023

Yeah, I think returning the board is the way to go. If there was some easy fix I overlooked, someone would have pointed it out by now.

Thanks for your comments!

ryanwrxs5

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Have bought this board twice and i’m gonna have to return it again. fed up with this particular model. Will not boot at all with a graphics card and 5600G. igpu works great, and does not work with a gpu in the slot. no support at all anywhere and only 2 bios revisions. have isolated every component and the only thing left is the board