Question (GIGABYTE B560 DS3H AC Y-1) No bootable device detected after BIOS update

Jun 10, 2023
Hello, some time ago I bought a prebuilt PC that has been working great for me for a while.
Here is a link to the exact one on Newegg.

Recently, I have tried to upgrade its CPU from an Intel I5 11400F to an Intel I9 10900K. I have checked to make sure it is compatable with my GIGABYTE B560 DS3H AC-Y1 motherboard. After putting the new CPU in, I booted up the PC only to discover that it would boot to BIOS, and it wouldn't detect the SSD that came with the PC.
I didn't realize at first the BIOS needed an update, so I eventually did so - I downloaded the latest BIOS version (F9a) from this support page onto a USB-C flash drive, and promptly updated the BIOS using the Q-Flash utility. This went fine without issue - however, after the update was complete, after several restarts, my PC would turn on one more time to a blank screen, where it would sit there like that. I thought it just might be the last part of the update or something, so I let it sit. But, after waiting for over an hour, I thought something might be wrong and manually turned the PC off and on again, and now we come to its current state.

Currently, my PC will always boot to BIOS, and it does not recognize the Intel SSD that came with my PC as a bootable device. Since buying it, I have installed a second Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD, and it recognizes that one as a bootable device, but I cannot use it to boot as Windows is not installed on it.
Additionally, while I'm not certain, I believe that PC detects that there is something in the slot the SSD is in - looking on the motherboard, the SSD appears to be in a PCIe slot, and the BIOS says that there is something in the PCIEX16 slot - though I may be getting things confused.

I have looked up solutions online and have done some minimal troubleshooting, including tweaking some BIOS options, namely enabling CSM support, and changing certain boot options from "Legacy" to "UEFI". I have also attempted removing and replacing the SSD, but none of these has worked. I have not touched my motherboard beyond this, as I am not keen on bricking it from touching something without knowing what I am doing.

I've considered contacting GIGABYTE support, though it appears that they've made actually contacting them as hard as possible, so I have my doubts on how helpful they can be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to inspect the CPU's socket and see if there are any bent or broken pins. Did you clear the CMOS for the motherboard after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to the latest version?

One more thing is, did you change the cooling on the prebuilt when you decided to drop in the i9? Try and relieve some pressure from the cooler's mounting, as in, a 90 Deg anti-clockwise turn for the cooler's screws.

Jun 10, 2023
You might want to inspect the CPU's socket and see if there are any bent or broken pins. Did you clear the CMOS for the motherboard after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to the latest version?

One more thing is, did you change the cooling on the prebuilt when you decided to drop in the i9? Try and relieve some pressure from the cooler's mounting, as in, a 90 Deg anti-clockwise turn for the cooler's screws.
I inspected the CPU's socket, it doesn't look like anything is wrong. While doing so, I made sure there wasn't too much pressure on the cooler's mounting as I had to take it out and put it back in to reach the CPU.

I also didn't think to clear the CMOS - I tried taking the battery out and put it back in. It seems the BIOS configuration is reset, which looks like progress. It no longer detects the newer M.2 NVMe SSD, but it also doesn't detect the other one. It simply saays "No Bootable Device Found"

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the battery after 30 minutes. Try and power the system and see if you make progress. Please be forewarned that the time and all settings will be reset.

As for your SSD, might want to remove al drives and work with just one, the OS boot drive.

Jun 10, 2023
Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the battery after 30 minutes. Try and power the system and see if you make progress. Please be forewarned that the time and all settings will be reset.

As for your SSD, might want to remove al drives and work with just one, the OS boot drive.
I did that, not much has changed. I have also taken out the Samsung SSD.
One thing I forgot to mention is that before the BIOS update, there was a bootable device known as "Windows Boot Controller" or something similar, but even then I couldn't get past the BIOS.

I have looked online for similar issues and found that enabling CSM support may help. Currently, Secure Boot is enabled and CSM support is disabled. Should I try toggling them?

Jun 10, 2023
I have also taken out the Samsung SSD
The Newegg link you passed on lists the Intel 660p SSD, you might want to mention the model of the SSD you're working with.
Looking at the drives, the one that came with the build is an Intel 660p like you mentioned. The model number is SSDPEKNW512GB. This has the Windows installation on it.

The one that I installed later is a 1 TB Samsung SSD 980.

Jun 10, 2023
So, a quick update:
I tried swapping the two drives, and it looks like it worked - I am able to boot to Windows. The only problem is that it won't recognize my other drive anymore - so, I guess the issue lies within the PCIe port itself - for some reason or another, the motherboard won't recognize whatever's in there as a drive. It will register that something's in there, but that's it.

So my bigger issue is resolved, but I'd still like to be able to use both of my drives, if possible. Any ideas on how to fix this? It could also possibly be a hardware issue (I could have somehow killed the port without realizing), but I'd like to try all solutions before saying that's the case.