[SOLVED] Gigabyte BIOS update F40 to F50

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

First time attempting to update a bios and would just like some confirmation I am about to do it right.

I have the Gigabyte B450 m Aorus bios version F40. I would like to update to F50.
My plan was to download the latest version onto a usb, unzip the file and update it through the bios.

Since I am on F40, is it right that i don't need to worry about the notes on the Gigabyte website about Q-Flash and EC FW Update Tool? It should just be a straight forward update from F40 to F50.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

I know this motherboard has dual bios. How does that work? How do I go back if the update fails? Not finding a lot of information on how to use this dual bios. Hopefully I don’t need it.

I know updating the bios is risky but I was having problems running my ram at 3200mhz and it has been suggested that I try updating my bios. I am hoping the update solves this.

Specs.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super
1TB 860 evo SSD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold

Solution
You can update directly to F50, bios files contain the whole file and never are “updates”. So no need to worry about jumping over an older Update. But always check on website of there are any special instrucions. Woth dual bios mobos there is a switch on the board that switches from one bios to the other so if you brick one you can use the other.

Lutfij

Titan
I would take the safe route and update BIOS in this order, F41>F42g>F50 using a pend drive that is FAT32 and has the BIOS files on them. You can then use Q-Flash to update BIOS after hitting the END key on your keyboard during boot up sequence.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
You can update directly to F50, bios files contain the whole file and never are “updates”. So no need to worry about jumping over an older Update. But always check on website of there are any special instrucions. Woth dual bios mobos there is a switch on the board that switches from one bios to the other so if you brick one you can use the other.

Solution

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi, Thank you both.

I just got my replacement motherboard back and its got version F41. Put my faster ram in and it works perfect. No need for me to do any updates.

Thanks