Gigabyte Boasts 7.032 GHz CPU Clock Record on Ivy Bridge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]BRING OUT THE He[/citation]

Liquid helium ? And how do you plan to contain that ? It's a super-liquid.

boogien8

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Can it play Crysis?
I don't care if can run at 100 ghz, if it cant run your favorite graphics intensive game and survive its just a paperweight.

Saitzev

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]For all you that laughed AMD's 9+ghz was only 1 BD module, this is only ONE CORE overclocked.[/citation]

No offense geekapproved but apparently you can't read. This was covered on Tom's as well. And if you remember Tom's also did a review on Bulldozer and stated that Bulldozer cannot run on a single core only a single module due to it's design. Best do you're homework.

The very same ksin was able to push his setup even further, hitting a new high mark of over 9 GHz. The Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard with only two cores enabled on the AMD FX-8150 was able to reach a clock speed of 9062.43 MHz (287.7 * 31.5).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fx-8150-overclock-9ghz-bulldozer,15853.html

G

intel only runs games well - so it's for children. amd is for serious people who get work done

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]That's kinda funny because Im able to hit 4ghz with my quad core i7 920 on air cooling... Why did they need liquid nitrogen?[/citation]
Semiconductor tech reacts exponentially to heat and power, not linearly. Which is why it suddenly gets harder to push 4.6GHz + on air.

[citation][nom]randomuser111[/nom]intel only runs games well - so it's for children. amd is for serious people who get work done[/citation]
Nice try man. Doesn't quite work on this site :p

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Just wondering, is it impossible to OC up to some insane clock with all cores enabled?[/citation]

Maybe but more cores running equals more noise and more heat inside the chip. Which is why they disable all but one.

G

I remember how excited we were when they told us that we would be receiving our 8 MHz PC AT "any day now" to replace our 6 MHz PC AT and how sad I was when a year later I had to use a 4.77 MHz PC without a HDD to edit some documents.

1 GHz was not even in our dreams, let alone complaining about "why one core at 7.xx GHz" versus "mine can do 9.xx GHz" or some such.

How spoiled I feel these days.

Used to be I'd start a simulation run on the computer (green screen), go downstairs, brew coffee, shoot the breeze with friends, come back and it was finally ready. Then I had to skip shooting the breeze followed up by waiting for coffee to brew. Now, forget about it: I am sure that my cellphone can complete that same simulation seemingly as quickly as click start.

Now, on the main page I read "IBM says quantum computing is right around the corner".... How sweet it is to live in the future :)

and yet it still can't get to 7ghz on one core :lol:

AMD FANBOI FAIL :lol:

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Sort of true.Almost 30 years ago people didn't know what to do with ever increasing processing power and what they came up with was the graphical user interface.Today we might either see more stuff like voice recognition and smart assistants (Siri) and/or new form factors. (tablets, project glass, etc.)[/citation]exactly my point, my desktop have a 2500K sitting on idle while I am web browsing under window GUI. Instead of including AI/voice recog as default in windows/web browser to further assist me. I have to press and type every single GUI myself. Gone with the days where upgrading CPU actually improve OS experience. One of the reason why mobile device are replacing desktop for casual users.

in other words, if u are a casual user, non of these quad core provide any extra speed that benefit u. A core 2 duo is more than enough now.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]exactly my point, my desktop have a 2500K sitting on idle while I am web browsing under window GUI. Instead of including AI/voice recog as default in windows/web browser to further assist me. I have to press and type every single GUI myself. Gone with the days where upgrading CPU actually improve OS experience. One of the reason why mobile device are replacing desktop for casual users. in other words, if u are a casual user, non of these quad core provide any extra speed that benefit u. A core 2 duo is more than enough now.[/citation]
Windows 7 has always come with Speech Recognition software...

G

What 's the use? what you will gain?
Are you actually going to use your PC or you will keep pouring water/liquid nitrogen into CPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.