Gigabyte Builds First Single-Socket LGA2011 Motherboard With 10 Gb/s Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

True but it still doesn't make it useful. Most networks are still on 1Gbe at best as 10Gbe is still pretty expensive and there are still no 10Gbe routers out yet.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I was excited about this until I realized that consumer 10Gb\s switches still cost an arm and a leg.So something like this is only good for an enterprise environment :(

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Nice and all but no ISP supports this as yet and by the time they do another generation of MBs will be out.
It doesn't matter if the ISP supports it or not as this will primarily be used on a local network, between the workstation and something like a storage server. Heck this could even be used as a server, and if its priced right it could be pretty sweet deal for a motherboard with 10GBE onboard.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Shame it wasn't 10GbE as people usually refer to it outside the networking world. Meaning copper not SPF+ only with 2 x 1GbE ports on the side (nice feature).This ain't going to be for even your enthusiast, but it has to start somewhere. Amazing how 10GbE is 10 years old and still costs $500+ for a drop in card.

I was really surprised that this tech did not hit consumers some 3-5 years ago! Finally it is here!Definitely a must for my next build!Next time I'll turn my current rig into the server and I will finally have the option to have a nice tiny game/production rig with a minimal of storage. It will be perfect!

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Most people have a hard time doing over 5MB/s.. so anyone thinking this is for WAN networks, you are wrong. I would love to have one of these in my rig and on my server to take full advantage of my RAID setups. Makes backups a little quicker.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I get the feeling this is meant to be a server board, not a consumer-level one. Gigabit in consumer products is over a decade old, come on guys, why not work on getting 10gige in consumer products?

InvalidError

Titan

Actually, consumer GbE is almost exactly 10 years old: 2004 is the year where GbE started becoming more common in upper-tier consumer motherboards. It did not become nearly universal until late-2005.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Nice and all but no ISP supports this as yet and by the time they do another generation of MBs will be out.
Not even remotely true...I build networks for Carriers, and I / we can sell you 100's of Gb/s of line bit rate. Even whole multi-Tb/s networks.But how deep are you pockets?I do see a use for this motherboard though, if you are running high-bit-rate services, think multiple backups, databases, file servers, you can exceed the 800, or so Mb/s you practically get out of GigEthernet, and for some, setting up Port Aggregation over multiple GigE links is difficult, especially between different equipment vendors, and thus a single 10GigE link could be simpler to implement. Try pricing a new C3750X switch though, you computer will seem rather cheap...

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
10GbE is probably just about to go mainstream soon potentially hard to say. Wireless internet is getting to the point now where it's got more bandwidth than your standard 1000mb NIC's built into any motherboard made in the last what 5+ years. I think wireless internet will only continue to improve and speed up further and will likely replace wired networking entirely outside of the realm of optical crossover cable connections for servers where both speed and latency is a little more critical.

InvalidError

Titan

What wireless internet are you talking about? I'm not aware of any form of consumer wireless access that goes anywhere near 1Gbps and with the crazy billing rates for wireless data, people would go bankrupt using a hypothetical 1Gbps LTE access. If you meant WiFi routers, those can only do up to 900Mbps half-duplex per band and that includes tons of dead time which leaves less than 400Mbps usable, less than half what you would need to make 1GbE break a sweat.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
If we could get home routers/switches with 4 1Gbps ports, 1 10Gbps port and a 1Gbps WAN port this would be awesome for a file server.

ntgam1ng

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
What wireless internet are you talking about? I'm not aware of any form of consumer wireless access that goes anywhere near 1Gbps and with the crazy billing rates for wireless data, people would go bankrupt using a hypothetical 1Gbps LTE access. If you meant WiFi routers, those can only do up to 900Mbps half-duplex per band and that includes tons of dead time which leaves less than 400Mbps usable, less than half what you would need to make 1GbE break a sweat.
He said wireless as in wifi bro

festerovic

Distinguished
Um, wouldn't this be fantastic for a video editing workstation connected to LAN storage? I am salivating at upgrading my small lab with these, depending on cost. Also, the typical cost for a 10gbe card has gone down to around $300. Routers/switches still around $2k+ If you move data for a living, the time for AT LEAST 10gbe is now. I wonder what card they adapted for on-board.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The 1gigabit standard should have gone away a long time ago. It is sad that router companies are not making consumer level routers with at least 4, 10 gigabit ethernet ports. The WAN port can remain gigabit to save cost, but 10 gigabit LAN is a must.My cheap NAS system is already maxing out the gigabit connection for both reads and writes, with a low CPU usage. To match the max speed of my drives in the array, I would need 4 gigabits. 10 gigabits will offer a good amount of headroom for future expansion.PS teaming is useless. I have tried it, and it only works if both systems use teaming and if the transfer is broken into multiple parts for multiple simultaneous connections.Sadly networking companies are still price gouging on 10 gigabit hardware. Seriously, $1546 for a 12 port 10 gigabit switch... 10 giabit switches should be in the $100 price range, and not this price gouging crap.

InvalidError

Titan

Doing 10Gbps over up to 100m (328') of wiring is a very different challenge next to doing 8Gbps over 0.3m within a PC or ~2m with USB3. The ADCs, DACs and DSP power to modulate and demodulate a PAM16 signal with over 500MHz of baseband signal bandwidth per pair does not come cheap even today. Most of the cost of doing 10GBase-T is the analog stuff.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
wireless and WIFI are two different standards. Wireless=PHONES (LTE etc, think CELL towers here), where WIFI=a,b, g, n, ac etc...With Wave2 of these devices he will be right to some degree, as they will hit 3.47Gbps (and about 2400Mbps throughput making 1GbE useless for most). Most people will do fine with an Wave1 AC router in their house as even those render a 100Mbit ethernet wire pointless. You can move into a house today and not worry about wiring it and still hit 700-900 pretty much anywhere in the house with little effort compared to wiring AFTER you've built the house (which in some cases isn't even possible, so bring on the wifi!). I dread dragging gigs over 100Mbit ethernet these days. Doing a system backup over it just plain sucks on Win7/Win8 as they are just HUGE operating systems even empty. Even the mid tier of wave2 will tap out 1GbE for most so yeah, wires are on their way out for most homes as wave2 will tap out a lot of older drives etc and even some SSD's (smaller single channel etc). I'd be ok doing wifi backups if I could get ~90MB/s+ so I'll be doing a happy dance over high-end wave2 models. I could live with backups that took 10-15 minutes but not ~45mins. With Wave2 I will have no use for wires at home which will make it like every HD in my house is in my local PC :)

InvalidError

Titan

Seeing how quickly 11AC's usable bandwidth degrades as soon as it goes through a wall, I'm not expecting real-world wave-2 performance to deliver anywhere near their theoretical figures... and most of the wave-2 gains are about multi-user bandwidth, meaning it won't help much unless you are attempting to pull 100s of Mbps through wireless from two or more clients simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.