Gigabyte Circumvents Nvidia’s Strict GTX 1070 Ti Clock Rates With New Aorus Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ANNOYING that you need to always run the software, because you might forget it's no longer running thus lose your overclock when you delete it for some reason. (normally you overclock the CARD through it's vBIOS so it stays with the card)...

Another issue is the 8GHz effective memory. Compared to a GTX1080 you'll get a bigger swing in performance depending on what game you run, the resolution etc as the memory bandwidth matters (GTX1080 has 10GHz or 11GHz memory)... anywhere from almost PARITY to 10% slower on a GTX1070Ti vs GTX1080 of similar cooler and frequency...

I get that NVidia wanted to insert the GTX1070Ti in between the GTX1070 and GTX1080, and also that 8GHz was a (smart?) choice to reduce costs to the card manufacturers (which sell more cards so it in turn benefits NVidia) but just like the "3.5GB" GTX970 issue this seems like poor planning. Really, you didn't think people would object to this?

Keep in mind they ALREADY limit clock speeds via voltage caps if you did not know. I actually agree with that one as it is to keep QUALITY high (less failures) but I know some do not, and I certainly don't agree with this WEIRD solution which gets "fixed" by forcing someone to constantly run a software solution to apply the overclock.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I think there is a minor typo in the first paragraph. "one-clock overclocking" is probably supposed to be one-click overclocking like in the rest of the article I imagine.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

No, you don't need to run the software to maintain the OC. The software makes the changes in vBios. Once the OC is made, RGB lighting set, etc. the software can be closed and all settings are maintained.

I speak from experience- I own an Aorus card and have confirmed this with GPU-Z. I use Afterburner now, but I originally started out with Gigabyte's software.

Status
Not open for further replies.