Gigabyte Confirms BRIX Pro Compact PC Kit with Iris Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I've been waiting so long for this baby. Lugging my heavy tower home for the break and having the graphics crap out on my on the way back made me wish this was released back in December :D

hypergreatthing

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
The ivy core NUCs do not come with the power cable. A separate purchase has to be made for the "3-Slot Mickey Mouse type plug" that's required to plug the power adapter into the wall.
Intel started adding them in the Haswell based NUCs.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
@hypergreatthing - According to the Anandtech article on the new Haswell NUC

"The power cord needed is a C6 type that plugs into the power adapter's C5 type connector. The 3-plug C6 connector is also known as a cloverleaf connector. It does keep costs for Intel down, but it would have been really nice to localize this component to the country of sale"

It is cheap to not add something that costs just a couple dollars/pounds retail but hey I guess they will pass the saving on to us customers....

hypergreatthing

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Going off of an amazon q&a:

The production SKU of the D54250WYK is supposed to include the power cord. This has been confirmed in several reviews which include the following message from the Intel PR team:
"The pre-production NUC units we sent you did not have power cords. This is because we did not want to card multiple SKUs of pre-production units. However, with our production SKUs we WILL have power cord options for US, EU, and UK. We'll also continue to carry "no cord" SKUs for markets that have other adapters."

Sep 22, 2013
I'm sorry for being thick, but what is the target market for this device? If it's essentially a tiny gaming PC, that's nifty, but I feel like the CPU is overkill.

Seems like it would make a good media box, but again seems like overkill on the CPU.

A compact desktop seems like a good target, too, but AGAIN, CPU would be overkill.

So, who exactly is this for?

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
@hypergreatthing - Looks like I am wrong about half the world and right about the other half.

Care to admit we are both right in some context?

Ryrynz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Roger you do realize dGPUs can offer the same performance right? Why would you just rule something out without even checkin it's performance? Are you stupid or just ignorant?

Ryrynz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Chris, the CPU may be overkill for you but it's hardly overkill. Do some research before making stupid statements like this.

Sep 22, 2013

Okay, I think that's a bit out of line and a bit out of context.

I'm going to not report this to a mod as I think they'll give you a word of warning on their own.

That said, as to whether this is overkill is really a matter of opinion, not a "stupid statement" and you're entitled to yours, as am I.

What I was referring to is that the CPU is overkill for the most obvious market segment, which would be a compact desktop that would not be a "work horse" or gaming machine; i.e. it would be a document/web machine. An Atom processor can handle this.

Hence my question, "what is the target market for this?".

It's kind of like pairing a 780Ti or 290X with 4GB of ram and an i3 and using it for a media box. It'll get the job done, but it's impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS