Gigabyte Demonstrates 4K on Intel HD4000 via Dual Thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
The four displays combined created an overall resolution of 3840x2400.

so another 2 years before they make a 42" monitor at 4k resolution? sweet

if it requires lightpeak to transfer that much data at 1ms i guess that's alright.

just stop calling it ultra HD. 10-15 years from now it's all going to look like 8 bit nintendo graphics anyways

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
WOW ! Thanks intel for giving us multiple displays from one single card! this is so unheard of till now! wonder why AMD and Nvidia couldn`t of think at this till now. ... oh wait!

/sarcasm

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Yet, No solution remains for those of us who actually might want to use dedicated graphics solutions

I'm looking at you Asus as well, hurry up with that thunderboltEX

G

It is the type of output (UltraHD), not multiple monitors you idiots. They are using dual Thunderbolt to drive that much data output. It is a nice low cost solution to ultra high definiton output. Did you have another solution you would like to provide for us? Oh wait, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

G

will it work with 2560x1440 monitors? Can you guys at TomsHardware test it please? =D

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
In 10 to 15 years, we hopefully won't have pixel based graphics anymore.

Scientific research already surpassed that... and even today it would be applicable to certain degree (in a year or 2, complete practical implementation).

Capitalism on the other hand operates on market based cost-efficiency.
They will only switch to that new technology when it becomes cheap enough to produce (nevermind we have more than enough resources and technology to do it in abundance several times over), and only when they instill planned obsolescence into it.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]davidgermain[/nom]With all the 4k UHD screens all over the place why are they using 4 displays??[/citation]
Good question. But four monitors running 1080P on one mobo LOOKS more impressive than running one TV at 4K.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]Good question. But four monitors running 1080P on one mobo LOOKS more impressive than running one TV at 4K.[/citation]
actually it just looks stupid with all that bevel around .

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]so another 2 years before they make a 42" monitor at 4k resolution? sweetif it requires lightpeak to transfer that much data at 1ms i guess that's alright.just stop calling it ultra HD. 10-15 years from now it's all going to look like 8 bit nintendo graphics anyways[/citation]

Sharp just announced a 30" 4K monitor. No word about price.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]actually it just looks stupid with all that bevel around .[/citation]
There are monitors now that minimise or remove the bezel altogether.

Or at least that's the idea for AMD's Six Monitor Eyefinity

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]WOW ! Thanks intel for giving us multiple displays from one single card! this is so unheard of till now! wonder why AMD and Nvidia couldn`t of think at this till now. ... oh wait!/sarcasm[/citation]

Umm, Intel has been doing this since GMA 900 (or before?). 4k resolution, on the other hand...

[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Yet, No solution remains for those of us who actually might want to use dedicated graphics solutionsI'm looking at you Asus as well, hurry up with that thunderboltEX[/citation]

With DisplayPort, several AMD and Nvidia cards can have four 2560x1600 displays. Some AMD cards can directly have six and I've seen even up to 24 displays in extreme Eyefinity solutions.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]And intel's demoed GT3 graphics playing Dirt 3 at high details, posting similar performance to an Nvidia GT650m.http://www.anandtech.com/show/6600 [...] ce-gt-650m[/citation]

Looking at what little info we have on their upcoming GT3 graphics, it may be accurate to compete with a GT 650M or maybe even better, but I'll wait for some more serious confirmation before I believe it.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]davidgermain[/nom]With all the 4k UHD screens all over the place why are they using 4 displays??[/citation]

because how many 4k displays have 4 Dual Link DVI or 2 HDMI/ Display port connectors?, most would have 2 dvi and 1 of each HDMI and display port. You still need 2 cables to drive 4k right now on 1 moniter. none have 4 ports that can re-combine the signal from 4 sources.

[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]because how many 4k displays have 4 Dual Link DVI or 2 HDMI/ Display port connectors?, most would have 2 dvi and 1 of each HDMI and display port. You still need 2 cables to drive 4k right now on 1 moniter. none have 4 ports that can re-combine the signal from 4 sources.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that Displayport's latest version and maybe also HDMI's latest version can support 4K with a single cable. Maybe we'll start seeing single cable, single display 4K tests once they become more common on graphics, motherboards (for IGPs), and the 4K displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.