Gigabyte Factory Tour

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Could someone let me know how they actually test the whole lot?
Is it hardware / software (what software) / how long? Running a PC service and am always looking out for quicker way of identifying faults.
thanks

Pongobongo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Why oh why are humans still involved in the assembly process? This is the 21st century, the robots should be running the world by now. Is it the unions? A need for someone to talk to? The problem isn't a lack of jobs, it's a glut of people. Down with people up with machines!

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]Because americans are known to be lazy, careless and exploitive of their workplace resources? Just a thought... Not all of them, but as a group, that's what americans are known to be good at...[/citation]

Or maybe, seeing how most parts have to be put on by hand, labor costs are lower in Taiwan and even now, those jobs are being shipped off to mainland China. Look and see how many mobos are still made in the Tawain. All the low end Gigabyte mobos are made in China.

Intel makes their boards in Canada and the US.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
"LA Lakers defender Kobe Bryant" ????

I know Kobe can play defense, but I've never heard anybody refer to him as the Lakers Defender... Really??? He averaged over 30 points a game in the finals. Shouldn't he be the Lakers Offender :) Unless of course "defender" is some funky translation for "guard" which would be correct since that's the position he plays.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]Or maybe, seeing how most parts have to be put on by hand, labor costs are lower in Taiwan and even now, those jobs are being shipped off to mainland China. Look and see how many mobos are still made in the Tawain. All the low end Gigabyte mobos are made in China. Intel makes their boards in Canada and the US.[/citation]
Well, how many people buy Intel boards? How many people buy Gigabyte? Point is, it's more efficient in low cost labor systems, but some people with mission critical data and stuff (or have lots of money to burn) will opt for Intel's expensive stuff for more reliability, even though it's probably an overkill for regular users...

eqdarkleaf

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Before becomming a computer technician, i used to work for a PCB factory here in the US. There are many PCB factories here in the US, however they mainly make boards for government/military contracts (ie missiles, radar systems, ect.) since they can't be sourced offshore.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]Intel makes their boards in Canada and the US.[/citation]

I used to work at a computer store and I can tell that most (if not all) Intel boards are also made in China.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Not in relation to the article, but it reminds me of a funny fact about Apple. When you look at their produts, you'll always find a place where it's written: "Designed by Apple in California." And when you look on the box you get a "Made in China, Taiwan, etc". It's funny but not "Ha Ha" funny.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Computer_Lots[/nom]"LA Lakers defender Kobe Bryant" ????I know Kobe can play defense, but I've never heard anybody refer to him as the Lakers Defender... Really??? He averaged over 30 points a game in the finals. Shouldn't he be the Lakers Offender Unless of course "defender" is some funky translation for "guard" which would be correct since that's the position he plays.[/citation]

I just hope for her sake that it's not literally a picture of Kobe Bryant on her neck... good God...

G

At my job the wave machine begins with a flux bath... air is introduced and it bubbles up from a wide nozzle to ensure good a good coat. We populate circuit boards all day long and it's pretty nifty. We use Juki SMT pick and place machines and they do a good job. Yes, all surface mount parts are sent through a reflow oven and for those wondering how parts don't fall off the other side (if it's a two sided board)... surface tension.

Also, you would do the side with heavier components last.

Otherwise, the job is fairly boring. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.